Antenna TV Thread

allmc2008

• Members

Yep, Mac was bounced a few months ago. I want to say at the beginning of summer when the Mama/ALF block replaced it in primetime. I think the afternoon airing had already been replaced by then but I could be wrong.

KMan, I absolutely love the fact that we are now in this incredible classic TV renaissance. Ten years ago, it was HARD to come by a ton of the legendary classics that truly deserve to be on the air somewhere all the time. Now, they're everywhere, and it's such a wide variety of shows. Factor in just the officially-available streaming options on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon (of course not to mention the tons of things on YouTube) - so much of TV history is just readily available when it was impossible 10-15 years ago.

Once upon a time when I was in high school and I had absolutely nothing else to do, I would've sat down and played around with the schedules of both Antenna and ME. Tomorrow I officially go back to work. I might geek out a little tonight and do some dream scheduling to cure my dont-wanna-go-back blues

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Slightly bigger changes for ME-TV in September.

The daily western block is extended by an hour with Wagon Train joining the afternoon schedule, effectively ending the afternoon sitcom block. ALF leaves and is replaced in primetime by Happy Days, which I'm not too sad about. Still wondering why/how Hogan's Heroes continues to take up a beautiful hour-long slot five nights a week, but whatever.

Mama's Family must be doing well because it gets an hour on Sunday afternoons, along with The Facts of Life.

Touched by an Angel joins the Sunday schedule, unnecessarily airing as bookends around the usual Columbo. The Lucy Show also joins the Sunday sitcom block.

Sunday late nights has The Untouchables, The Fugitive, and Peter Gunn coming back along with new arrival Highway Patrol. All at time slots that are completely and totally inaccessible for casual viewers. Whatever happened to the days when overnight slots were strictly for repeats of shows that aired during the day? Why do they insist on basically running a full slate of shows ONLY in late night and early morning?

• Members

I think the schedule is a mess LOL but I'll be happy to DVR The Lucy Show. Too many shows air just once a week on Sundays. A little bizarre.

Alf off primetime is fine. I see it's still on Sunday's for an hour.

Kind of odd to have Mama sandwiched in primetime between older shows but it must do well enough to stay there (but they couldn't make Happy Days back-to-back like Andy and Hogan?), and be given an extra hour on Sundays.

• Members

Also surprised to see that MeTV has removed I Love Lucy from its weekday schedule and relegated it to one showing on Sunday afternoon.  I guess MeTV figures that people could always tune into the I Love Lucy block on Hallmark Channel in the mornings.

• Members

To me, it's criminal that ILL hasn't been regularly scheduled in primetime for a long, long time. I know that for the longest time, it was one of the most-played shows, but it's really been low-key for the last 10-15 years. I think it hit a peak with its 50th anniversary back in 2001 and has quietly blended in with everything else since then.

If I could fix their primetime, I'd do the Bradys, Andy, Lucy, and Mary, then an hour of Happy Days. I like the idea of the last part being an hour block of one show, but it's been HH for far too long. I'd even consider making it Beverly Hillbillies.

I mean, if I REALLY could have my way, Donna Reed, My Three Sons, and Petticoat Junction would air for an hour each in the afternoons.

• Members

Agreed with both of you.

Surprised Hogan's Heroes keeps the 10 slot. It's been there for quite a while. That and Carol and Perry Mason must do well for them to stay int he same slots for so long.

The Brady Bunch airs weekdays and it still gets that long block on Sundays ....

Funny how Hallmark has kept their comedy lineup for so long now. They finally found shows that work for them. I remember for a while they kept trying so many shows.

• Members

I really like the early episodes with the Lucy, Viv, and their kids. I watched a good bit of the Lucy & Mr. Mooney episodes in syndication growing up and also via public domain DVD releases, but they feel more like cartoons than an actual sitcom now. I hope ME starts with the beginning, but even if they don't, I can just continue to watch them on Hulu.

Apparently Antenna will give their primetime the Block Party Summer treatment starting next week and going through Labor Day  (so, what, two weeks?) with Family Ties on Mondays, All in the Family on Tuesdays, One Day at a Time on Wednesdays, Good Times on Thursdays, and Maude on Fridays. Shocked that FT and ODAAT are there and not the Jeffersons and Sanford and Son.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I wish! MeTV brings Cannon and the Fugitive back every now and then, and they've shown Streets of San Francisco in the past, so I'm not sure why they've never given Barnaby a go.

I really do think they're daytime lineup works best as a mix of the westerns, medical, and crime/mystery series, but it's time for a bit of a shake-up, at least for the westerns. Even if they were simply moving a weekend western to weekdays (which they will be doing next week with Wagon Train). I LOVE Gunsmoke. I could literally watch it all day. The fact that, through all of TVLand's attempts to be hip, it remains an integral part of the lineup, not only airing daily but airing MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY - it blows my mind. I appreciate the fact that MeTV has gone to airing the black and white episodes during the week, but I think they'd do well to cut it down to one airing a day, paired with a Rifleman. Free up the hour before that for another crime/action/mystery in the morning, and then add in a block of family dramas or even primetime soaps to take you through the late afternoon. Something like this:

8:00AM: BEN CASEY

9:00AM: MARCUS WELBY, M. D.

10:00AM: BARNABY JONES

11:00AM: HAWAII FIVE-O

12:00PM: GUNSMOKE

12:30PM: THE RIFLEMAN

1:00PM: WAGON TRAIN

2:00PM: RAWHIDE

3:00PM: DYNASTY

4:00PM: T. J. HOOKER

5:00PM: ST. ELSEWHERE

Then I'd make everything after that through midnight sitcoms.

Archived