Y&R: July 2013 Discussion

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That story could have been hot if it wasn't for the writing attempting to paint poor Phyllis as the victim to mean girl Christine...As things stood, it was ridiculous.

See, this was the problem with MAB. Having only a few actors in EVERY story while neglecting others. Muhney needs one SL and one SL only. Having him and MS be front and center is every story was over kill and burned the fans out on their characters. AS for the boring leading ladies...I thought that he only had one...Chelsea. And that was not a JFP and JG creation. How is that on the new regime. This melody person is not a real pairing and is just their to give Adam something to do until the baby is born.

This show survived the loss of Victoria Rowell who was the representative for a key demographic (and they have yet to find anyone to replace her although I think Hilary might be the one and Leslie does a decent job). It will survive losing Phyllis...I mean really, the show has countless other white women with which the viewers can identify.

• Members

Oh boo to that article. MS alright but she ain't the best b/c if she was, she'd be doing films instead of daytime. Just shows how deluded MAB truly is.

Now onto today's show, Paul is getting on my last nerve injecting himself in the Carmine matter. Maybe if he'd put this energy into being a father, he wouldn't have a dead son and daughter constantly on the move. Paul inserting himself is starting to make me think he wants Lauren.

• Members

There is a lot of validity to the article. And I'm not talking about MM and MS, but the onslaught of air time for these newbies. Take a look at the Top 10 of episodes appeared in for year through end of June. Clearly Y&R was a HUGE mess under Maria "I love doppelgangers" Bell, but I fail to see where they are going with the show now. I disagree with the Michael/Lauren assessment. After all these years of being married, the story is not out of the realm of possibility. (Plus, these are not Paul/Cricket holier than thou characters.) They both had very flawed pasts. Oh, and MD is not a FOJ since he predated her.

• Members

How are "all the newbies" FoJ?!

"Virtual malpractice".

Now, I get a kick out of Muhney rants on Twitter and he was fun to hate on "Veronica Mars", but him as Adam and that character's "I'm a just a misunderstood woobie" schtick has gotten tiresome. That's not leading man material OR worthy of a Emmy nomination.

• Members

I'm a few days behind. Sharon kneeling at the grave site with heels on *rme*. Come on wardrobe department, show some sense.

But not unscathed, imo. We can't be sure how much of the ratings decrease was about VR, but I think every time they lose a long term character it weakens the show a little. Obviously, this is just my speculation, but I think the Bell soaps have survived in part because they've had amazing cast retention over the years. That's starting to slip away due to budget.

• Members

Y&R is doing great with cast retention IMO - they still have Braeden, MTS, Bergman, Case, Morrow, Davidson, LeBlanc, Bregman, St. John, Linder, Maitland, Walton and Bell. But I have no idea what's going on at B&B. Flannery, Moss, Tylo, Wagner, Down and Frantz all gone within 18 months? And Brad's lack of concern over Taylor and (especially) Ridge's absences is very disturbing.

• Members

I actually think Brad Bell has the right idea in some of these instances - IMO Ridge ran out of viable story years ago, and while I would have kept Taylor as a supporting player/schemer, he's struggled to write for her for over ten years.

Y&R has a number of longtime players I would cut, and I don't think the show would miss them. The problem is that a lot of the new characters don't cut it yet.

• Members

This piece o' [!@#$%^&*] (penned by either MAB or Muhney -- toss a coin) actually pretends that under MAB's reign of terror, Stafford, MTS, Braeden and Sharon Case of all people got rich, ground-breaking, Emmy-worthy material? Uh, if I recall correctly, poor Case was being written right into a "Who Killed Evil Sharon?" corner with everybody spitting on her like she was the devil incarnate!

I am not JFP cheerleader by any stretch but I do think the show is better under her and JG than under MAB. Monday's episode was a case in point. I was gripped by the Abbott family scenes, especially when Billy hugged Jack and Jack whispered "It is going to be ok." I love having my Abbotts back (to a certain extent)! I love that they love each other. Under MAB I never felt that love, only acute disaffection with each other. It was like MAB was trying to hide the Abbotts' light under a bushel in order not to overshadow the fantabulous Newmans. And I'm not trying to start a Newmans vs. Abbotts thing, that's how it honestly felt to me.

Having said that, I do worry about the rash of people leaving both Bell soaps. The accelerated pace of this has been unprecedented (well, since 1980 for Y&R) and is leaving both canvases looking forlorn and empty. I know most people here are not going to miss Michelle Stafford anytime soon but I will (and Hunter Tylo for that matter). Phyllis makes things happen on this show and it is going to be achingly slow without her.

There are a couple of newbies I really, really enjoy, though. They are worth mentioning because they bring a little fresh air and balance to the canvas. Redaric Williams is as hot as Shemar but he's an even better actor -- I could watch him all day. This guy has Best Young Male Lead written all over him. Ignacio Serrachio -- UNF, baby! :wub: He can do drama as well as comedy, and I wish he had a bit more story. Sexy Marco Dapper has improved leaps and bounds since he arrived and is currently driving Y&R's strongest story. And I am really looking forward to what Mishael Morgan is going to bring to the table.

Archived