GH50: Discussion Week of June 24th...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, this baby story is such a lead balloon - it's yet another case of ABCD and post-milennial American soaps in general (and Ron, but this pre-dates Ron) getting young, vibrant women barefoot and pregnant or nesting with children before age 30 or in some cases, 25. Maxie is not a character who should be a parent any more than Starr Manning should. Lulu and Dante need a lot more excitement in their lives.

If it was down to me, I'd do something that, frankly, the antiquated mentality at ABCD (or CBS, or NBC) would probably veto still - the truth comes out, Spinelli is "tragically" killed as part of an action storyline, and Maxie ultimately opts to give their child to - Mac and Felicia! I think it would be a very true to life choice, the sort of thing that happens everyday in the actual real world; Maxie is not ready to be a parent, and her pregnancy was an accident, and she and her mother make this choice the hard, honest way. I also think it would be karmic and poetic for Felicia, the once-absentee mother, to take up the mantle of raising her grandchild as her own and getting it right this time. I think it'd be an interesting mid-level story for those two players on the canvas as well, and future drama for both mother, daughter and eventually a grown granddaughter someday down the line. Reminds me a bit of the Stewart girls on ATWT at their best. I dunno.

I've also decided that, though I find her endlessly tedious 80% of the time, Kelly Thiebaud might have a bit more potential with good writing; the new OLTL and how it's better utilized certain actors has made me take a second look. And Dr. Britt could potentially remind me of one of the more driven yet semi-neurotic professional women I remember from watching old material on GL or ATWT in the late '70s or early-mid '80s. I'd toy with having her take the fall in this huge Robin/Obrecht/etc. storyline, but semi-redeem herself by helping the good guys - like Tony Jones before her she would likely lose her license but start working at a local free clinic or something, and maybe we could have her on the C-list, and see if there's any more layers to that character to play with as a professional woman and a driven but damaged type (maybe test her with Nikolas or Dante - she and TC share a sort of dry, sardonic approach to a lot of scenes). If it turns out lame, she can always be tossed.

• Members

I watched about 30 seconds of the video and shut it off. I couldn't listen to Ron speak anymore. But speaking of him, did you guys see his ridiculous tweets today?

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 27 Jun

#GH if you're gonna ditch great characters like Connie, you have to get why people are going to say you're favoring "the OLTLers."

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 11h

@soapsindepthabc So is Sonny an AMCer? Is Carly a Guiding Lighter?

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 9h

For the record, I don't have any pets. ...Except this one. pic.twitter.com/s2xRgsrzqE

100px-0,20,0,19-Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

Archived