Toups

The Taylor Swift Thread

5 hours ago, Taoboi said:

Sorry to be in the minority, but I like it...and am curious to see what she has up her sleeve.

Some of the music is good, but the title is what a lot of abusers say to their victims, and add that in with the idea that she's implying that she's a villain who thinks she's still a heroine...it's a mixed bag for me, for sure. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

7 hours ago, MissLlanviewPA said:

I'm curious to see how the parents who have always considered her to be a good role model, and a "safer" musical option for their kids, are going to react to this, because this stuff might be a dealbreaker.

Maybe for some of her more conservative/country fans (if she still has many of those), but other than those, I doubt it. I think the younger end of her fanbase is in the 12/13 range and I doubt this a deal breaker for them or their parents. My sister plays Top 50 nonstop and this is honestly sort of tame compared a lot of what's "hot" right now. Just from view, I'd certainly rather my sister listen to this than over stuff like that "Body Like a Back Road" song and Chris Brown (just for two examples).

Can anyone explain to me why people think she voted for Trump? I'm seeing this everywhere today lol.

YRBB   

Taylor Swift & UPS are... partnering.

I hope all this intense promotion isn't because the label can tell the album would flop otherwise! :lol:

Eric83   

Taylor's team is impeccable. I love how nothing ever leaks and when she finally drops the lead single. They have endorsement deals, partnerships, photo shoots, merchandise, music videos all lined up and ready to go. YASSS!

Taoboi   
15 minutes ago, Eric83 said:

Taylor's team is impeccable. I love how nothing ever leaks and when she finally drops the lead single. They have endorsement deals, partnerships, photo shoots, merchandise, music videos all lined up and ready to go. YASSS!

+ 1

Toups   
17 hours ago, MissLlanviewPA said:

I really feel that she has songs on her debut album--some that she wrote at as young as 12 years old--that are MUCH better written than almost anything else in her career, and that at the end of the day, her best album will probably actually be considered to be Speak Now. That's what I think it should be, anyway. 

Totally disagree with that!  Stuff on her first album is definitely not better than "All Too Well" or "Clean" or "Last Kiss" - imo, that's her three best songs lyrically.   A lot of people from my hardcore group also thinks Speak Now is her best album.  Just wondering what songs make you think that? 

17 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

At least she's not playing it as safe as some assumed she would - if it backfires, oh well, she tried.

This song actually has me a bit worried.  I don't want her decline to start with this album because I think/hope Taylor has a long of prime years to go.  I know eventually the decline will happen though.....it happens to all artists.  

17 hours ago, MissLlanviewPA said:

I'm surprised by that, too--even with her putting all of her stuff back on Spotify, Big Machine is known for holding off albums by ALL of their artists for a certain period of time. 

While disappointed, I'll give it a pass since it's just a single.  But the album BETTER NOT be available for streaming right away. 

9 hours ago, MissLlanviewPA said:

Her looks AWFUL, like a rat's nest. And is that a SEX SWING?

I'm curious to see how the parents who have always considered her to be a good role model, and a "safer" musical option for their kids, are going to react to this, because this stuff might be a dealbreaker.

I mean, she's my age (well, almost...she'll be 28 in December), so *I* don't care; she can do what she wants. But that persona was her bread and butter towards fame for YEARS. 

Umm.....did you see the "Bad Blood" video with all BDSM stuff? LOL   I honestly think Taylor is into that stuff.  ;) 

8 hours ago, YRBB said:

She'll release reputation magazines, two volumes, as Target exclusives, which will include handwritten lyrics, photos, posters, etc. as well as the album of course. I don't know if there's any difference between the two volumes but I'm going for the orange one lol

I prefer the orange cover too.  I'm sure I'll get both of them if they're different. 

Toups   
1 hour ago, AdelaideCate007 said:

Maybe for some of her more conservative/country fans (if she still has many of those), but other than those, I doubt it. I think the younger end of her fanbase is in the 12/13 range and I doubt this a deal breaker for them or their parents. My sister plays Top 50 nonstop and this is honestly sort of tame compared a lot of what's "hot" right now. Just from view, I'd certainly rather my sister listen to this than over stuff like that "Body Like a Back Road" song and Chris Brown (just for two examples).

Can anyone explain to me why people think she voted for Trump? I'm seeing this everywhere today lol.

Yeah, for example Selena Gomez's fetish song.  What's considered "risqué" for Taylor is so tame compared to other artists.   No explanation on the Trump thing. The only thing I got is it's just another thing for people to pile on. 

1 hour ago, Eric83 said:

I love it!  It's a well oiled machine that's for sure.  

Toups   
2 hours ago, AdelaideCate007 said:

Just found out that Breitbart was tweeting lyrics from the new song. 

DRW50   
5 hours ago, AdelaideCate007 said:

People think that she whispers the line in the song. 

Say what you will about Taylor Swift, but I'm not sure why people think the most image-conscious celebrity in decades would release a song taunting about voting for a man who is extremely unpopular and becoming more unpopular every day. Yes I know she has a lot of "heartland" fans, but clearly she wants much more than that.

Khan   

If she DID vote for Trump, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Frankly, I think Taylor tried WAY too hard with her new song.  She went out for edgy this time, but all she brought back was sadness and desperation.

Edited by Khan

DRW50   

Not that anyone asked, but my thoughts on the song itself - it sounds like a throwaway album track from the late '80s or early '90s by an artist "in transition." It does little to shake my feelings that we've been reliving the '80s in the last few years, and not the fun '80s we see in nostalgialand, but the sick dread in the pit of your stomach part of the '80s that I didn't miss.

(on the bright side, music [not that song] and TV has improved quite a bit in the last few years, as it was in the '80s, so if that's connected, I should say thanks...) 

Edited by DRW50

Taoboi   
11 hours ago, MissLlanviewPA said:

Some of the music is good, but the title is what a lot of abusers say to their victims, and add that in with the idea that she's implying that she's a villain who thinks she's still a heroine...it's a mixed bag for me, for sure. 

Well, this is Taylor we  are talking about so probably intentional.

Abusers = media and that roller coaster of fame

Taylor = abused

Toups   

The lyrics video for "Look" got about 18 millions views in 24 hours. The "Bad Blood" video got 20.1 million views in 24 hours.  That's crazy numbers for a lyric video!