GH50: Week of June 17 Discussion

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Alexis is just supposed to be perfectly fine with her boyfriend turning into Jason? It would be more damaging to her character if she had absolutely no problem with him being a professional hitman all while lying to her.

• Members

I don't mind the Shawn/Alexis conflict. I mind that they only just reintroduced and began to seriously discuss it last fuckin' week. That's the problem with plotting on this show. They return to a couple or story and try to force us to care like they've invested all along - they never did invest in Shawn and Alexis until it was convenient for plot.

• Members

But didn't Shawn have a point? Alexis keeps guys like Sonny on the street, and what was her problem? That Shawn kills or that an innocent person got hit? If Shawn had actually killed FrankenTodd, would Alexis be ok? Should she find another client? Sonny is no longer blackmailing her to rep him.

Alexis should have questioned this long before Liv got shot. I'd love for TJ's mother to be cast and the show made an attempt to write for a black couple. This pairing is just a joke anyhow!

• Members

I wouldn't compare this to Tammy/Jonathan mostly because a) I doubt Kukla and Michael will be blood-related within a month or two and b ) Chad Duell doesn't make me want to punch the screen like that howler monkey with the greasy hair did.

For all the talk of how GH is its true self with Guza gone, this Franco story, and the Shawn crap, is very typical Guza, right down to the false moral equivalences that remind us other people were bad too.

• Members

Did you see the preview? Sonny sitting in Carly's living room with a gun in hand while Carly looks on terrified? If that's not a nightmare Carly is having, this is to definitely show the dumb viewers how easy it is to lose control and it doesn't make you any less human. If this does not "redeem" Todd 2.0, I'm not sure what will.

Sonny has forsaken so many things in the name of Carly. He has hated and loved her with the same amount of passion. He's thrown Brenda under the bus for Carly, and this woman has risked life and limb for this man. They have gone thru IT, and come out on top. Now, Sonny points a gun in her direction? I will wait this out because Crappy love their shock, and this just might not be what it looks like, so yeah, I will wait.

• Members

RC is trying to morph Franco into Todd, just like ATWT tried to morph Paul into Todd...

It's part and parcel of the same problem plaguing soaps for decades, TIIC care more around their pet STARS vs the actual character.

I was never a Franco fan, but he was far more intriguing when JF played him as a sociopath who knew he lacked empathy and trying to determine why he was born so different from others. RH could have run with that type of complexity. Instead, TIIC want him to play redemption seeking Todd Manning yet again.

• Members

I think there are moments where Howarth does the cold, curious, alien side of Franco very well, but for the most part it's clear the writers just desperately want Todd back. And it's so bizarre and so, so inappropriate with this particular character, who in his original incarnation talked at length about enjoying murder and crowed about Michael's rape. And 99% of the time it's embarrassing to watch.

The scene with KA the other day at the mansion where he talked about the two sides of himself was actually very good work by RH IMO, particularly when he veered towards obsessing over the mention of Jason, but it was in part disconnected from the Franco we know, who was some sort of demented pathology, either psychopath or sociopath. The truth is that Franco is all that bestial side of himself - anything else is a lie or a trick, either for himself or usually, for other people.

They could have very well used RH as the cold, alien, menacing Franco in the way GH has used Connie Towers as Helena - as a recurring villain. I think RH could do that very well. Instead they're trying to make Franco into a gray leading man. It will never work.

• Members

Franco has put me on the brink of quitting GH. I liked Todd, I liked Franco I, but this guy just rubs me the wrong way completly. Why is he on this constant quest to be irreverent for the sake of it? Is that witty? It's just obnoxious to the point I have to FF. And why are the Qs tolerating this nonsense? They know he is responsible for Michael getting raped and yet they still want to cater to him? Wouldn't Tracy and AJ just band together to toss Franco out completely? That scene with Alexis "you're hot", that scene of him striding to Carly and Sonny grinning from ear to ear, "come to papa". the whole thing isn't amusing, it isn't cute, it isn't funny, it isn't someone I can't wait to see what he does next...it is just someone I don't want to see who has been on 46 episodes in a row seemingly.

Emmy Award winner KA is right behind him. "My Friends call me Kiki", "I downloaded a virus", "we broke the bed"..this is another one I can't stomach. Why Michael would find this ugly in all ways thing attractive I do not know.

Taylor I can't deal with either. She is a one dimensional bore and her snarky, sassy, attitude for no reason demeanor has been seen a thousand times before.

I liked GH in April, but it all went to hell in May and June.

• Members

I think the whole thing depends on how much you love Roger Howarth. If you love him, then seeing him smirk his way through scenes like a drunk Tinkerbell has more appeal. And there's the baseline of, "He's trying so hard. Other people are bad too!" It's Sonny-type writing, dipped in cheap peroxide.

The worst part of the story is that it's not even actually a Quartermaine story. AJ and Tracy are degraded so that we'll know Kukla and Franco are superior.

• Members

The problem is RC has done the type of Taylor character over and over and over and over. He thinks a few flashy lines and at times a capable actor will put the character over in a matter of minutes - this is Taylor, she wants this kid, she is sassy and gets what she wants! And we were expected to enjoy her and her steamroller approach by the end of Day 1 and just take it as a matter of course that she is running the teen scene. She hasn't even been on a week.

It's not that the character is terrible, and the actress is fine. It's that there is nothing to the character on the page but a collection of broad cliches, and this is all Ron ever tries to put over with a lot of teens. And he tries to put it over immediately.

And with Kiki, we know that sooner or later she is going to turn out to not be a Q in order to get with Michael, which makes this entire leg of the long Lauren Frank/ELQ story arc [!@#$%^&*] pointless. And it likely means Franco is also not a Q, which is ridiculous and a waste of time too. So everything we're watching at the mansion has no real long-term weight. I could have potentially dealt with Kiki alone, as a Q heir, bonding with the Quartermaine family, even if she's just Starr with dark hair and very occasionally a little more spark, because I think the family needs more young blood in there to bounce off the elders. But even that is going to be gone.

• Members

I wouldn't mind seeing if this show could write for a black couple too but not at the expense of the few BM/WW soap pairings. I know Y&R and B&B refuses to pair black men with white women and will only pair them black women. I also know this pairing is a joke too because they are poorly written for and they could've paired Shawn with a younger woman.

• Members

I keep saying RC only know how to write two types of women. The loud and obnoxious type or perpetual victims. Exception for the occasions when he gives a combo of the two types.

Um have you been watching Y&R lately? Because they've been teasing a BM/WW pairing. And B&B did one a few years ago granted they never really got much airtime but no one really got airtime outside the triangle.

Archived