• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When the show went to twice a week I sort of drifted away because the habit was in effect broken, but I caught up and I really think that Pete is the breakout character of the show, not AJ, Miranda or Celia. The guy seems to have chemistry with Celia for the sweet love story type of stuff, and Colby for the sex stuff, and he has a good vibe with Opal too. I haven't seen anyone he has acted with where he didn't work well with them. It was nice to see Dimitri but I can't get used to Michael Nadar being bald. Billy Clyde is always a hit with me, and this time is no exception.

I don't like the low energy of the show, the way everything seems to take place in isolation. Where does Joe go between his scenes, does he live anyplace? And why is every hospital scene in that one room with the sliding door? Maybe it is the lighting or my monitor but the whole show has a dim quality to it.

• Members

Darnell Williams played Jacob Foster on 2 Soaps with Debbi, Loving and the City. The lookalike theme is critical and important with the Jacob, Angie and Cassandra history/background. You cannot pretend it never happened. That is senseless and not in accordance with continuity in writing. Darnell has said that he has played a dual role in a film before so he is a very capable actor to do both. Of course, Darnell would need his Jacob dreadlocks/braids wig but costume/hair can make that happen. Darnell would be up to the challenge, for sure. He is talented and gifted.

• Members

I agree with you about the low energy of the show. It is like the actors trying to make something happen out of bad scripts/writing. All scenes do appear to be segmented/fractured and missing details in the dialogue. Ah yes, where is that famous Martin house. He and Ruth retired to Florida and here we see him but no tying of loose ends or giving update to the past 5 years, no mention of family. The Martin family is a historical key core family of PV. The flow of the show is off and I am guessing it has something to do with the reduced 2 day a week schedule.

• Members

I do think Jacob should be mentioned a bit--I know that it's hard to come up with a reason for why he isn't there, but... I liked Jacob but contrary to Linda I don't feel Darnell played him any differently than Jess, for the most part, and I havezero desire to see them on screen at once.

I agree that by now a few more details about where certain characters are, etc, could be mentioned. It doesn't bother me as much as some on here, because mostly I feel the episodes move at a good pace (Monday's did in particular) but... I also think the town has more of a sense of community than it did during some of its last ABC years. That said, I do have a feeling with BOTH AMC and OLTL where the show can feel fragmented with sense and characters isolated to one or two locations, and hope this continues to improve.

I didn't realize the doctor was the new contract actor but I should have since they had even David Heyward give him a good recommendation. He seems alright so far.

• Members

I know nothing about Loving/The City except that I adored the cheesy Loving theme song as a little girl when I would wait for AMC. The Jacob thing is odd though- its almost like the writers can't decide whether they want to acknowledge him or just hope everyone forgets and thinks Jesse is Cassandra's dad. Was he discussed on ABC when Jesse or Cassandra returned? If not, I get why they're avoiding as it seems like a dual role and a marriage to a Jesse lookalike is a lot to unpack in 45 minutes a week but it does make no sense why no one called her father. I would say it almost makes more sense to say he died but I fear getting yelled at. (NOTHING against Darnell).

Eric, I agree that the show is moving along just fine- I don't feel low energy at all & I don't need to know the whereabouts of everyone although eventually maybe tell us about Erica & Tad. And there's definitely more community than ABC (although god knows that doesn't say much) but I agree that certain characters/stories feel very isolated and its almost like separate vignettes. I actually don't feel that way at all with OLTL where I feel like they go out of their way to mix up the canvas. But OLTL pacing suffered more with the ep reduction whereas it felt like a total nonissue for AMC, which was super impressive.

• Members

Darnell Williams originated the role of Jacob Foster and I saw differences with both characters. Jacob with his music and Jesse with law enforcement. I would love to see Darnell do both roles. Would provide storyline with the Angie, Jacob and Cassandra equation.

It is longtime viewers who complain about where is so-and-so and I want so-and-so back on AMC. Therefore not enough attention to detail with the reboot.

Darnell Williams originated the role of Jacob Foster and I saw differences with both characters. Jacob with his music and Jesse with law enforcement. I would love to see Darnell do both roles. Would provide storyline with the Angie, Jacob and Cassandra equation.

It is longtime viewers who complain about where is so-and-so and I want so-and-so back on AMC. Therefore not enough attention to detail with the reboot.

• Members

Yeah--in hindsight maybe it was a mistake to bring Jesse back as Jacob in the first place, I guesss--if they were just gonna have Jesse return anyway. Again, I know Linda disagrees strongly ( :P ) but for myself, besides different career and maybe being *slightly*( more laid back, Jacob was for all intents and purposes Jesse.

When Cassie came to AMC before she did have, I think one conversation with someone (Colby? One of those random annoying kids who had a band beside Tad's house?) where she mentioned how she doesn';t get along really with Jesse and how weird it is that Jacob and Jesse look the same, but that was it--I don't believe Angie or anyone else mentioned it. Frankly, I think the writers, prob wisely didn't want to get into it, but felt thy should make a brief acknowledgement (AMC was written by Brown/Esensten at the time, who basically wrote all of the Jacob material--including briefly him seeing Jesse's ghost--on LOV/CITY.)

Agreed with your AMC/OLTL thoughts, actually.

• Members

I am well aware Darnell originated the role... :P I also consider myself a long-term viewer--I probably have missed a dozen episodes between Fall 1991 and now, total and have spent the equivalent of days watching as many earlier episodes as possible--but meh, it doesn't bother me at this point so much (Also watched Loving/The City pretty faithfully from '92 till they ended.) .

I think Williams is a great actor, and appreciate that you saw huge differences between Jesse/Jacob. I, however, did not. It was more like Anna/Alex on AMC which never worked because as great as Finola is, she couldn't make the characters different enough.

• Members

I just don't get this- sure everyone has favorites they would like to see again but I feel no gaping holes or lack of attention to detail (and I've watched for almost 20 years and consider myself a lifelong/longterm/longtime-whatever fan). They're working with what they have and there is not a ton of room at this point for a bunch of old character returns. They told us where Maya and Lucy were because that was key to Angie and Jesse. They've explained Kendall. They've touched on Tad and will likely say more at an appropriate time. They're clearly waiting on Lucci's decision a bit longer before getting into Erica. Marissa is dead. Hell, Dimitri mentioned characters like Sam, Maddie & Alex and I'm sure Brooke will eventually reference Jamie. Its easy enough to believe that Ryan, Greenlee, Frankie moved away in FIVE years and Kathy is at school etc. I just don't feel a need to go through the entire AMC scrapbook and get an update on everyone who is not coming back when the show is already so short. And what would it accomplish? More complaining from the Ryan/Greenlee fans? (if they exist and are not just various pseudonyms for Brian Frons).

Archived