AMC: Wednesday June 12, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

I was thrilled for that scene. I was just thinking that for all the people careening to their fainting couches over the language we really hadn't gotten much in the sex department other that J&A's scene and Cara's fantasy that first week. I was beginning to wonder whether PP had decided to step back from the looser standards. Clearly they have not. LOL!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think we need to have a lot of heartbreak, depending on exactly what the Mirror Man, for lack of a better term, did to her and/or her parents. If she suddenly recalled being molested and seeing her parents murdered, then she could easily go over the edge. Also, Dixie's most likely going to be her counselor (as well as Cassandra's) and given her reaction to Billy Clyde's return, I don't think she'll be very helpful to these women at the moment.tongue.png

• Members

Yup, one of my fan boards are up in arms over the Pete/Colby scene thinking it went on too long with one viewer stating that she turned her computer off.. so I said I understood why some of them would be bothered by the scene..and then asked if they turned off their computer when the Cassandra torture scenes were playing since that would be the time when I would fast forward or turn off my computer.

All they would say was that they wanted the old AMC back, even though I pointed out that Sex and the City was more graphic then the Pete/Colby scene was.. and someone said back that this was AMC, not Sex & the city.

I finally just gave up LOL

• Members

I can understand how you feel with not being a longtime viewer. I am a babyboomer and have watched AMC from Day 1 when it premiered so I have the whole entire history to go by. Yes, the writers run the risk of alienating the longtimers who expect certain things since we have invested in the show for its entire run. Yes, complaints already with the BJ with Colby/Pete, the cursing, etc.

So us longtimers will make comparisons and look a little closer to the scripts and what exactly is going on for continuity and consistency. and I guess there are still key characters missing on the reboot that are going to be needed to satisfy longtime viewers and get them to stick around for the long haul. They have to bring some of them back. You are right about walking a fine line because PP is aiming for the younger viewers, the 18-49 age demo grouping and on the flipside they have to worry about the longtimers giving them enough things to attract them to stick with the show.

• Members

I can understand how you feel with not being a longtime viewer. I am a babyboomer and have watched AMC from Day 1 when it premiered so I have the whole entire history to go by. Yes, the writers run the risk of alienating the longtimers who expect certain things since we have invested in the show for its entire run. Yes, complaints already with the BJ with Colby/Pete, the cursing, etc.

So us longtimers will make comparisons and look a little closer to the scripts and what exactly is going on for continuity and consistency. and I guess there are still key characters missing on the reboot that are going to be needed to satisfy longtime viewers and get them to stick around for the long haul. They have to bring some of them back. You are right about walking a fine line because PP is aiming for the younger viewers, the 18-49 age demo grouping and on the flipside they have to worry about the longtimers giving them enough things to attract them to stick with the show.

It was said that he spent years on drugs/alcohol which can damage teeth over time. I was reading that he is clean now and sober.

• Members

Other than the protracted amount of time spent on Pete's face - which doesn't bother me a bit because it's such a pretty face - there's not much about that scene that was any more raunchy that what you could find on a ten o'clock network drama. Scandal had the First Lady going down on the POTUS in the shower while he drank a scotch and cried. (Which resulted in an INSANE discussion of what constitutes rape and abuse over on TWOP.)

I remember reading one comment on FB about the language where someone said, "I hate the cursing! These shows used to be classy!" I was like, "What soap were you watching?" The one where Tad Martin tortured a man by burying him alive?

• Members

Yes, many fans continue to press hard to wanting the old AMC back big time. And disappointment over the Pete/Colby scene. You make a point of the torture of Cassandra and that could offend viewers alike. The reboot is not going to make everyone happy all the time. I plan to keep watching and do my part to give it a fair and fighting chance to succeed.

• Members

The thing is that none of them would answer when I asked if these same viewers turned off their computer during the Cassandra torture scenes.

My mom said that the human trafficking story is not working for her.. not cause of the subject matter but because of the countless scenes of her being tortured, crying, and acting helpless. She did like the scenes of Angie with the one girl in the hospital room, plus any scenes of Zach/Lea/Jesse investigating. She was hoping that if we had to see scenes of Cassandra, if they could have shown her talking to the girls more.. getting to know some of the other girls and their stories. Show Cassandra as more then helpless, show her with strength and spirit, maybe even a bit of her mama Angie's compassion. Maybe even shown more scenes of the one girl Eileen and that one girl who snitched on Cassandra.

• Members

That provides a very interesting comment on society, particularly, American society's tolerance for violence over sex.

I found the Cassandra torture scenes difficult to watch at moments but I did allow myself to turn away. There are women and girls who are undergoing this torture as we discuss this very topic and I think the situation has been allowed to continue (there are not enough resources directed toward these programs that protect and find sex slaves and exploited people) because people can easily turn away. I think people remain silent and don't speak about it because of the shame. I think many young women are not given the tools necessary to feel as though they can protect themselves (it might not always prevent a crime) because no one talks openly about this.

Still, I think AMC can still, in the aftermath give these characters a voice. I have been hoping that there might be some scenes with the young women who were rescued by Jesse and Lea to the Miranda Center for counseling. And yes, I am hoping that the girl who snitched would be included in counseling sessions.

Cassandra's story does not end with her rescue. If written effectively, there should still be opportunities for Cass to show her Mother's resolve and strength and she would need it because she would have a lifetime of trauma to contend with. So would all the women.

• Members

The one time I actually go to hang out with my mom and watch we would get Petey's orgasm. Jesus Christ, that scene felt endless to me--it probably was fairly brief but... Otherwise, I thought it was a terrific episode. The pacing felt spot on--and while Dmitri looks diff--hearing his voice, I admit, made me feel like I was watching the show back in '91 when I started.

• Members

That gag video was beyond inane--I guess I can wait and watch More on Friday for previews.

I'm on the fence with Lea. I sorta think she's a terrible actress, and yet I am starting to feel that works for the character.

Sooooooo glad Cassie's home--I've liked the human trafficking story, but can get more behind it if I know she's safe (she better be safe--didn't Angie hear someone open her door?)

Archived