Michael Fairman to host TOLN Soaps Live

• Members

What are you expecting them to be asked, though? "Why won't you share with GH?" "Tell us what you love about Ron Carlivati's work at OLTL and GH, and why you felt you needed these characters?" Because that's what half these people would be asking. Meanwhile, digging into the minutiae of administrative or BTS choices really isn't done even at the network level, with any show, from any of those people. And when they do attempt to ask those kind of questions in a gentler way, they are almost always rebuffed. They avoid those questions in any real way because they are all terrified of losing access.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Youd be surprised at the amount of things the evil, hated soap press declines.

While I am not sure why cost is an issue or was brought up... No, its not free.

Well, it can be but very limited. You can only do a show for X amount of time like 3x a month, i think. And you have to select the time from a limited selection. Plus, they hired a host and I am sure he is getting paid for it.

I think this is a good thing. Its giving fans more to keep them involved.

Oh, and I think MF is a great choice. While I understand how he could annoy some, he has been doing this for a long time, has connections to the actors, and is natural for the most part when interviewing. No matter who they hired, nobody was going to ask the "hard hitting" questions some people seem to want asked. This is a fluff thing, like anything involving the press really.

• Members

Just going off my Roger Newcomb suggestion, I highly doubt he'd ask anything like that. I could see him coming up with fun segments involving the history of both shows and how it would relate to the current stuff. In general I've always been impressed with We Love Soaps work. I just think for an hour long show I just don't know how interesting Michael Fairman is. The last video chat sort of thing he did with TOLN was pretty bad. Just like the More idea I like it, but the host and the producers obviously aren't the right people for that type of show.

• Members

No, I think it says it all about the soap press, these days. It's been a cossetted little industry of 99% hacks for at least over a decade, but now, in the digital age where everyone's twitter feed is an excuse for public drama, it's something mutant and utterly incompetent.

• Members

And yet we still get so many great interviews that are posted here, from the same press that gets lambasted ... There is a lot more quality on the Internet these days than when the only interviews were in the soap mags and TV Guide.

The golden age is not always back in the day.

Also, Dan Kroll, I would not have been impressed -- his red-carpet interviews for the AMC/OLTL premiere were lacking in substance compared even to the other quickie red-carpet interviews, and also I've never felt his Two Scoops analysis was deep.

Michael Fairman is a good choice but I think Roger Newcomb or Damon Jacobs would have been awesome!

• Members

Actually, Jamey Giddens defended PP's decision to go to 2 episodes a week, http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2013/05/16/prospect-park-cuts-new-episodes-of-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live-to-two-a-week ... DC is not swiping PP at every opportunity. This is what he wrote in that link above,

"Okay, I am sure this is about to cause pandelirium (When pandemonium meets delirium) here in the DC comments and across the interwebs, but this time around I am going to wait before I rush to judgement. PP managed to get these soaps back on the air — when many thought it was impossible. If they have to tinker with things a bit, I am not gonna start dousing them with haterade.

I've enjoyed the relaunches of both soaps, for the most part, and will continue to support them as they find their way. I'm sure when Mama Irna Phillips took The Guiding Light from radio to TV there were tons of hiccups. We'll get through this, soap nuts!"

It is fun and easy to make generalizations, and I could make one about how Cartini haters make uncompletely unrelated subjects, practically everything, about Cartini -- but I will refrain from doing so.

Archived