OLTL: Thursday, May 30, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a feeling we will see gay storylines by the end of the year (if we make it that far.) There's such a market online for gay soap stories (look at the ridiculous youtube clips devoted solely to them) that it does seem a missed market, especially for an "edgy" show. There was a rumour one of the shows would have a bi character soon.

Which strengthens the reasoning behind trying it in a venue like this where in theory they can be more risky.

• Members

I don't think you want to hear my thoughts on the British gay stories these days.

I still can't quote here 75% of the time. [!@#$%^&*].

I agree Eric. It might be worth the risk. I just want a good reason for the character and story. I don't want the "you have a gay...you have a gay!!!" mentality that I often see online, where CJ was supposed to show up and be gay because...just because, or where some GH fans wanted Morgan to be gay so they could point and laugh at Carly and Sonny for having a queer son.

• Members

It was slightly more entertaining than Tuesday's episode, mainly due to the Buchanan's poker game, but I still wouldn't call it good.

I loved Clint telling Bo & Nora to make Matthew man up! I'm glad Bo admitted to Snoop Lion that Clint was right.

I didn't mind Matthew watching a movie with his online friend, but do young people these days really watch Casablanca? I'm in my mid-40s and I've long felt like an outsider amongst my peers due to my love of classic films.

I never liked Cutter or Natalie separately so I hope they get together and move far, far away from Llanview in the near future. It was hokey that she spotted the drug deal just after accusing her cop pal of being there to look the other way.

Dani definitely looks like she's on drugs again, probably to deal with Matthew's rejection.

I still don't care for Blair & Todd but her singing was good even if the song was too long. Todd finding the cut wires was a really weak cliffhanger, though I know this probably wasn't meant to be a Thursday show.

• Members

I think it was Thursday's show :P (last week were Monday and Tuesday's, this week Wed and Thurs for both soaps. )

As for Casablanca, I'm in my early 30s, but there definitely were some of us into classic films (and it's a pretty famous classic even to teens who wouldn't know most older films.) That said, I think that was meant to be the point--that Matthew feels they share this bond due to liking slightly different things (and Dani did tease him/call him out on it.)

• Members

Didn't Nuke have a fan event in Paris AFTER the show was canceled? Not to mention the heavy views and support these storylines get on YouTube. Having the shows on the internet makes it easier to access and if they had a gay storyline I could see that definitely bringing in viewers. Especially since they don't have restrictions on how to feature them. I won't continue to get into it since this is about Thursdays OLTL, but AMC especially missed out since Bianca was a proven successful gay character. If Eden couldn't commit, they should've brought back the recast Bianca and had her as a regular character in a love story.

• Members

My main British soap complaint is Hollyoaks spending three years telling viewers that gay men only find love if they are beaten unconscious by their partners, and that abusers are the true victims.

Chris, I apologize for suggesting that I thought you were just randomly wanting a gay story on this show. I know that isn't what you meant. I was talking about other people I've seen.

• Members

I have to agree with Clint on the Matthew issue, and I'm glad he spoke up and even though Matthew is an adult, he needs to start acting like one and take responsibility for his child.

The poker game was fun and actually wanted to see more, and it would have been nice to have had Viki there as well for Nora, but it was still fun to watch.

it's about time that the Banner story started to heat back up, wonder what Jeffery will uncover next. Can't wait.

Love Natalie!!

I think this was the first time that Matthew and Dani didn't make me want to throw something at my tv, still need a break from seeing them all the time.

Archived