OLTL: Thursday, May 23, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with this so much. OLTL may not be 100% perfect right now but I love that Llanview really feels like a town of interconnected families, extended families and friends. I think there have been at least 10 scenes in the past 2 weeks that speak to this. The community feel was really missing from the last decade on ABC. Hopefully since the new writers have been promoted from within, this will continue.

• Members

Viki says, "You reschedule the date, I will take Liam any night you want." Do you see anything about Sunday? Does Natalie say she already rescheduled the date? The exact word Natalie used before that is "cancelled" and she also says, "I don't know what to do." She at least allows Viki to believe that she has not set a new date yet.

Yes I know what the scene is there for in terms of John. There is still a continuity issue.

• Members

You're correct that I mixed up the dates in my post, but you're incorrect about everything else. You're being beyond anal-retentive. You assume that because Viki says to reschedule and Natalie doesn't immediately correct her, then the scenes must be out of continuity. That's not the case. I've seen many, many scenes like that in all sorts of drama, both daytime and primetime, where someone without a full accounting of all the information pops in on another character to reinforce a key character or story point, unaware of all of the facts.

We as the audience know Natalie and Cutter rescheduled, but we also know from the earlier scene that Natalie was very gunshy and nervous - she tried to play off Cutter's original cancellation as no big deal, and she's still broken up about John. Viki calls Natalie in order to deal with the emotional issue, not with the nuts and bolts of the plot one. She calls in order to help Natalie attempt to resolve an internal issue - her nervousness and indecision. We know Natalie has already agreed to reschedule, but what Viki's call does is help her sort through some of her lingering nerves and fear (just in time for John to call) through a brief conversation where - surprise - an adult woman doesn't tell her mother absolutely everything. What Viki does is reiterate the emotional correctness of the choice Natalie has made, one Viki doesn't know she's made but we do. That's all.

I get that you get off on going around the board and calmly and deliberately explaining to us all what each soap is, where it's good and bad and why we need to understand that you're right, and that was cute for like three minutes but it's not always accurate.

• Members

That's what a discussion board is for - to discuss. Of course it's not always accurate -- we are dealing with opinions here a lot of the time. That's why when you say with conviction exactly what Ron Carlivati is going to do on GH because that's what you say he did on OLTL and that's Ron, that's not always accurate either.

I can see your point of view on the scene but the problem I feel there is with the scene is not something in isolation on this show.

• Members

The problem is you sometimes behave as though your opinion is not opinion, but objective, unbiased analysis from someone unlike the rest of us. It's not.

If you believe the show has continuity issues you are welcome to enumerate on them all the live-long day. This is not one of them and I just explained exactly why. If you have nothing to counter it with other than to point to other unrelated scenes which you feel must be out of continuity, then we have nothing left to discuss.

• Members

Always is is a pretty high hurdle. But anyone who's watched Ron's work for any time at all can predict where he's going with a high percentage of accuracy. He's just so predictable and unimaginative by the third or fourth go around. surprise is the exception.

OLTL is highly unpredictable at the moment. I agree that the scene you mentioned seemed to exhibit a continuity problem. But it could just as easily have been an execution issue. Natalie was supposed to be so distracted and pressed, and her her plans with Cutter so insignificant that she forgot momentarily. The scene didn't play that way but it could have very easily.

• Members

Oh I forgot to mention, did anyone else feel like the music cue (or whatever the right term is) in the beginning of the episode at the end of the Todd/Blair scene before they cut to the opening song sounded familiar as something that used to be used a lot on a TV soap? I can't quite place which soap. Not sure, I could be way wrong. Someone here probably can say for sure what it was used for (if I'm not just imagining it completely).

Whatever the origin, I liked hearing it. I liked this (apparently) familiar thing.

Who's the music director for OLTL now anyway? (Edit: Looked it up in the credits, it's James Kowal -- AW/ATWT alum ... Is this something that used to be used on ATWT? I still can't place it for sure. I had thought it was an ABC soap.)

• Members

My mother just e-mailed me and let me know that she is much more into OLTL then AMC at this stage of the game. She told me she never thought she'd ever see the day that she'd ever prefer OLTL to AMC, but today is that day LOL

She thinks that the writing is crisper, the plots more interesting, and a nice blend of intrigue, teen angst, and comedy. She also made mention of David... totally think she has a major crush on him LOL

I'm partly happy because I've finally converted her to becoming a fan of the show again after she quit watching in the mid 80s (when PR came on and totally turned the show into trips to the wild west and Eterna... she didn't know the name of the story, just referred to it as that story about that stupid underground city).

• Members

Blair's "I'm sorry" with that music was excellent. Very touching. The actor playing Jack is not very good but the character somehow works. I'm hoping he'll grow.

Loving the tension that is growing between Viki and Clint. I'm glad they're exploring Viki's different options before she ends up investing in that scam.

Matthew/Dani/Jeffrey stuff continues to be excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally watched this...

The writing does a creditable job of showing both Jack and Todd are screwing up any chances at getting closer. It's true to the characters, which is more than I can say for any of the crap where people instantly reconcile because of some big crisis, which has been used with Todd and Victor for years to wipe away some of their worst crimes. The last scene with Blair and Jack was very sad. AT has a ways to go but does have his moments.

Natalie's hair looked very pretty in this episode. Not sure how I feel about Natalie and Cutter but I prefer his goofy demeanor to the slick stuff he tried on ABC. The conversation between Natalie and Viki was very refreshing, as it felt like they were having an actual conversation suited to their personalities, instead of just generic soap dialogue for mother and daughter. I do wonder if the show will let Viki and Clint remember Cutter tried to take the Buchanan fortune and used mentally ill Jessica for his own ends.

Everything with Viki/Destiny and Destiny/Nora/Bo was great. I hope that with the cut to two episodes a week, moments like this own't be cut. They're the backbone of soaps. We need to see that Nora and Bo do care about her, and see her feelings, instead of just leaving her in a degrading "baby mama" role.

I still feel no emotional connection to Jeffrey. He seems to sort of floating above everyone he shares scenes with. I can't explain it.

Matthew is in the odd position of being heavily involved in story yet being superfluous to it. We know how plenty of people feel about him, but his own feelings we mostly see if it's about Michelle. He seems to care about no one else. If I didn't know better I would say this is leading to a story where he meets Michelle, and she kills him, and we then see the anger and grief of everyone he left behind, most of them being left behind years before he died. Frankly, I think I'd prefer that story to most of what he's done so far. I don't have a problem with Robert Gorrie, but I do not care for this Matthew.

I did like the scene where Dani was fantasizing about him and the toast burnt and she ate it without realizing. That was a believable little comedy moment.

I continue to enjoy the Viki/Clint conflicts and how Viki's stubbornness and pride are getting more focus. I wish this wasn't being done to set Viki up for a fall, because I want her away from that man.

Archived