AMC: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

Love my Drama Queen. I think he is more mellow than when all that baby-switch storyline was going around and trying to please Mayor Branco and the Council with his performances as Chief Of Police. Jesse Hubbard is full of layers and on full display any given day.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All soap actors have good days and sloppy days. Just a part of the genre. The blooper reels and mistakes would be endless. That is why they look for the strongest episode to submit for Emmy consideration. They critique themselves.

• Members

I was extremely disheartened after last week's developments (the episode reduction and subsequent FX Canada cancellation) but I think I'm back on track now. This week's episodes were great and Monday's episode looks even better!

For me this show would be damn near perfect if they recast Celia and Hunter, stopped with that bloody guitar riff before teen scenes, and if Ginger Smith would defer to Marlene McPherson (can't believe I'm saying that!) on staffing the writing team (swap out Rebecca Taylor and Sue Johnson in favor of Marlene's friends Pete T. Rich & Nancy Williams Watt).

I don't think A.J & Miranda are on too much and I wouldn't have a problem with Pete & Celia's airtime if Jordan Lane Price's acting wasn't so annoying.

ETA: Unfortunately I think TPTB are going to be very loyal to those (actors & writers) who were willing to sign on from the outset

• Members

I don't mind any of the characters' airtime. I don't really notice it at all. I don't feel the whole show stops or other characters are banished in order for the characters who are onscreen to be able to be, well, onscreen.

I will say that when it comes to Celia and JLP, I don't find her to be a bad actress. There's something about her that I like. I just find her to be... inexperienced. She's lacking the ability to build a character with mysterious origins by filling in the blanks. In my opinion, a more experienced actress would've changed her approach to the character after it was revealed -- either by producers or just from her reading the first script where Celia sees the man in the mirror -- that there's something more to Celia's character than just a naive boarding school girl. As of now, even with the mirror and the dream, JLP's approaching this character with this wide-eyed, nubile naivete... which isn't very intriguing. There should be that "other" layer she adds to Celia that makes the audience think there's gotta be a reason for this demeanor. I think the writing is there but JLP's approach is lacking in that department. Other than that, I think she's a decent actress who possibly needs a little more guidance and direction than she's getting. :)

I also agree with LeClerc that Rebecca Taylor must go! I get it. She's a pro. She can crank out a sh!tload of scripts and has been writing dialogue for these characters for over a decade... however... even during her network days, I always found something amiss with her dialogue. I can't put my finger on it.

• Members

Sue Johnson doesn't seem so bad, but I agree that Rebecca Taylor/Chip Hayes are the weakest script writers. I do know that N Gail Lawrence worked at GL, Days, and Passions.. plus worked on AMC in the past. I think that Nancy Williams Watt would be a good addition to the writing staff.

• Members

This episode was missing David for me, but I loved Jesse/Angie interacting with Billy and Billy randomly turning into a member of British nobility or whatever that speech pattern and accent was.

I just can't stand Miranda at this point, they have pretty much turned her into the brunette version of TeenColby and I never liked Colby as a teen. Speaking of, when is BN going to show up, with this new schedule I'm thinking it might not even be until June.

While I like the Cassandra story, today Sal's acting was just a little flat for me.

And, Black Agnes forgive me, but I am wanting David/Angie to happen more and more, just for the histrionics Darnell will unleash on my computer screen as he masterfully and exquisitely delivers his portrayal of a black man's anguish at losing his wife to the white devil :P /facetious-sarcasm

One last minor thing, why do I feel like OLTL has more sets than AMC? I swear every other scene is either in AJ's room, Celia's room, or the Chandler living room. I know the budget is limited, but this just feels off, especially when Miranda is going from her house to the Chandler estate to catch the school bus at AJ's house.

• Members

I think it's just because AMC went first. They started building AMC's sets the Friday before it started taping. In contrast they took a whole week off to build OLTL's sets.

We're seeing a few more sets now that were done after AMC's first 2 weeks of taping. We had the Chandler patio added today. And whatever restaurant BCT/Ruby/Angie/Jesse were in. David is getting a house soon. Pete is getting a bedroom. The PVPD will be making an appearance. It does seem Miranda will be remaining homeless though.

• Members

Maybe they are waiting for SL to come back.. cause you know if she comes back.. they will be building a sweet penthouse/house set for erica... one that perhaps Bianca and family will use (its unnatural for Miranda to always be over at the Chandlers)

Archived