OLTL: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally watched this.

I would have preferred Todd and Victor parting on decent terms, as it's not like Todd is actually going to die (unfortunately), but I guess they had to do this to make Jack warm to Todd. I'm trying to remember if this is the first time I've seen a throat punch on a soap. I thought the scene of Victor choking Todd was very nicely shot. Todd was so overbearing in that scene. I guess it was in character, even if it was a little forced and plot-driven, but it reminded me of why I dislike the character.

Victor - I'll probably never be a fan of him, per se, but I think that Racina/SBH/Pepperman/what have you did a much better job with him than Ron and Frank ever did, especially since they haven't needed to trash other characters to suit him. The people in his life love him but they also challenge him. That's what was missing, for me, in most of the Ron years - another POV that wasn't shot down as being wrong or irrelevant. I think TSJ did a very good job of Victor being so run down and dangerous, while trying to find some sort of inner peace with his family, only to realize that wasn't going to happen.

The Matthew/Dani/Jeffrey scenes - they were well-executed, they're just not for me. I'm a little bothered that Dani only ODed for plot purposes (so that Victor and Todd would get involved) and that she's already back to binge drinking. I guess it's true to life, but this and Matthew's general demeanor add a sleaze to this group that is tough to shake. Jeffrey and Matthew work well enough as loose friends (I don't believe they care about each other at all and I don't believe he went to school with Matthew and Dani), but I'd rather see Jeffrey elsewhere.

While Blair clearly is not as in touch with her club as she should be, I liked that we got to see her dealing with Dusky and the attempts at getting drinks. I barely remember ever seeing her just as a businesswoman or club owner, no focus on her children or the man in her life. How refreshing.

J-Wow had that "she's not so bad...she won a contest, give her a chance!" vibe, but she was more competent than about 80% of the actors I've seen hired on soaps in the last fifteen years. I think she fit in well at the club. Surrounding Cutter with women who don't have a great deal of time for his games was a good idea.

I feel a little sorry for Melissa Archer when she has to do the club dancing. That must be awkward.

• Members

Interesting points. I can't comment on the comparison to TV OLTL but I would have preferred Victor and Todd to part on good terms too.

Why don't you believe Jeffrey went to school with Matthew and Dani? They seem like the kind of friends who would have done that to me. There are times though when I think Jeffrey might be older and they just met him in London. I think the show has been a little vague on that.

What did you think of White Girl Wasted? That's the important thing, LOL!

• Members

They just don't seem like longtime friends to me. I would believe it more if they met each other in Llanview when the show started, and we saw them getting to know each other and sharing an apartment for money reasons (which they're doing anyway).

• Members

Thanks for telling me about this.

White Girl Wasted - I barely remember. Reading the thread was interesting as if I'd read before watching I would have assumed the song and Jack were almost the entire episode.

Archived