OLTL: Monday, May 13, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Jessica needs a break and a refresh. I'm fine not hearing about her right now. I don't understand this urge to have to know where everyone is but that's just me LOL. To each their own. Same with nuMatthew/originalMatthew. Eddie was a nice child actor. He didn't want to do it. I personally think the recast is fine and reminds me a lot of Eddie's Matthew. Is it jarring because Eddie and Shenell looked all of 12 in the roles? Yes, of course the recasts might be jarring.

• Members

How did we feel about Laura in her scenes? I thought she showed some improvement but her ticks of her sassy eyes/gaping open mouth/slight headshake/hair tussle/smiling during angry moments are REALLY gonna piss me off if they don't go away.

• Members

Laura clearly needs training. She's a MWM (Model Who Memorizes) who wasn't blessed with the gift of delivering text in a naturalistic way. There's no voice or speech technique there, so what we get is this jumble of words and emotions that blurt out in odd timing and emPHASis with no clear direction. Well, at least in Destiny's more heightened moments. She's beautiful though, and as Michael Bruno would tell you, "I can teach a model how to act, I can't teach an ugly good actor how to be pretty." rolleyes.gif

• Members

I think Todd's suite is pretty awesome. Actually, I'm assuming that's a suite at The Plaza. I've been having to rush through these shows so sometimes I'm doing more listening than watching.

At first, I thought it was maybe a little too young and whimsical for Dorian, but I really like the revamped La Boulaie. I think the style more reflects the idea that it's a multigenerational "Cramer Woman" home. Blair, and in absentia Starr, Adrianna, fake-ass Cramer Woman Langston, would all look at home there. The purple and metallic color scheme and the new staircase reminds me of Erica Kane's Linden House revamp circa 1994. I like the new sofa, the chinchilla throw, the return of the portrait in the shrunken foyer... it's back to the size it was when Marty lived there before Dorian put in the split staircase. To me, the overall visual effect is that of an elegant rowhouse.

And poor Renee stuck in the house bald-headed cuz Dorian done snatched her wig. Robin should go back to the auburn weave she used to sport in the '90s, just shorter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally got around to watching this...

This was the first day that I was annoyed by the Tea overacting, and I'm still not quite sure what they're doing with Victor's abusive tendencies (are they just saying it's because of wherever he was being kept prisoner), but otherwise I thought these scenes worked well enough. I liked that Tea made him tell the kids he was going, and that they weren't having histrionics. I especially liked Dani's reaction of being annoyed and flip, then going back to hug him. Victor's exit is actually surprisingly believable and a good way to bring TSJ back in if he wants to come back.

David was laying it on thick, but I like him hanging out with Jack and Sam.

Poor Blair with those jeans.

Jack's angst over Todd makes sense.

I thought the Matthew/Destiny/Jeffrey scenes were poorly acted in general, although LH had the goose egg moment. Most of the time she doesn't bother me though. I was baffled that Destiny asked Dani to babysit when she knows Dani takes drugs and just got out of the hospital from an OD. That seems to be treated surprisingly lightly by the show. I really am not fond of this Matthew deadbeat story - it feels like he's a deadbeat just to create conflict/later scenes of him accepting his son, instead of being true to the character. I will say I like that she actually slapped him, instead of a fake slap.

• Members

You're only nine episodes behind! Make the magic happen!

I think Matthew's issues are realistic, myself - he was never too keen on the baby and he's a very young man who just got through college. It's a realistic, if immature reaction, and these are layers of his personality we've seen throughout his teens, though we know he has a good heart. Snoop had some good stuff with him about this on yesterday's show. You also have the Matthew/Dani photo shoot coming up, which I thought was very hot and empowering for Dani, but you will likely hate.

I like Laura Harrier a lot but she seems like a very green Lisa Bonet. Sometimes she's great. Other times she just needs to stop rushing her lines.

• Members

I think they just picked up with Matthew pretty much where they left off. It was something that needed to be resolved on screen (I guess). Matthew wasn't embracing fatherhood at the end of OLTL, and even though baby Drew was a newborn when the show ended and now he's three years old, there is really supposed to be no time jump. That's part of the problem IMO. They wanted the reboot to pick up where they left off, but they aged so many key characters. So now instead of Matthew being resistant for a year -- it's been three. And I don't think it's supposed to feel that way. As a result, he looks even worse than John. LOL. John's been a deadbeat loser for only a year.

• Members

To me, at the end of the show, Matthew was, while still not happy about being a father, accepting it.

That and the whole thing about the great love between Matthew and Destiny that's been talked up a little are the parts I could do without.

I think Robert Gorrie is more than decent, but I sort of wish he'd been brought in as a new character, and they'd left Matthew offscreen.

Archived