AMC: Monday, May 13, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think in the last 10 years of it's run on ABC that there was a lot of good stuff peppered throughout, but a lot of bad stuff out-weighing it. I'm not saying new AMC is a terrible show, but it's similar to the ABC run in that it's not reached the full potential that AMC could reach. Basically there is room to go. I wouldn't say either OLTL or AMC are better than anything on soaps because they haven't been on long enough for me to know that yet. I need to see how things progress at 3 months, then 6 months and a year.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There were a lot of "false-starts" in the last 10 years, whose poor execution ruined the potential for really awesome storyline for the fans. I 100% agree with you, i did not tune from AMC because it was all trash, I just got tired of seeing a gem only 1/100th of a time, and then being dissappointed when a storyline was not followed-through with.

Examples:

1) 2005's Sam Grey storyline: We should have watched Sam reconnect with the Father that he thoughts for the last 10 years was just his uncle. His mother, his Aunt, his father all sheltered him. As Bobby found himself getting in more and more trouble, we should have seen Sam struggle to cope with the dispargement between the stable home-life Edmund and Maria gave him, and Bobby's unstable life as a vagabond. Instead Bobby was dropped. Edmund was murdered. Then Sam was dropped. It was a storyline a decade in the making, and ruined over the span of a summer.

2) 2005's return of Julia Keefer: One of the most missed characters comes back to campus in a hodge-podge storyline. Even Eva La Rue offered to stick around to re-introduct Julia, but was re-negged. There never seemed to be a long-term storyline projection for Julia. She wandered as a supporting player for her entire second run. Then, when it looks like we had a real story coming, with a potential custody battle over little Kathy Mershon, she is unceremoniously killed off.

3) 2007's return of Barbara Montgomery: All her former co-horts and partners in crime were still on canvas (Adam, Tad, Erica) and instead of giving her roots and real storyline, she is scenery filler. They never played-up Barb's ruthless business savy.

4) Anything with Bianca after her second contract stint in 2006

... and the list goes on.

• Members

First time I heard of Sam Grey. It seems as if he would be a good asset to the show. I am reading his "Relatives" section on Soap Central. Him being the product of a Courtlandt and a Martin plus being adopted by two popular characters also creates a lot of potential. I could see the pine valley people turning him into a Golden Boy were everything he does is good...even if it is not!!

• Members

Yeah Sam could be a good addition with his biological links to the Martins and Cortlandts and adoptive ties to the Maricks and Santoses (who while not on this canvas or considered "core" were a HUGE part of 90s AMC). The Sam adoption was actually one of my favorite stories (might be an unpopular opinion) so it would be cool to see him back as a contemporary for Petey.

• Members

A lot of newbies with recast established characters and David front and center with a character who isn't/wasn't AMC history enriched leads to failure in my book. Like someone mentioned if you dont like Petey with Celia who is he going to hang out with?? And none of the vets have any story to mention. I never cared for the David character so I dont care what happens to him...and as far as the acting...boy is it bad....Debbie Morgan's scenes made me realize how bad the acting is on this show. Julia Barr cough.....cough...is just as bad as the newbies...I am shocked.....

Yes I want this to succeed because you never know down the road we might get ATWT and GL back online....I mean anything can happen.

Right now there are too few characters and not enough of them to care for.

• Members

Monday episode was much better ... I loved the cliffhanger - AJ saying JR had no idea who he was. Also good material for Debbi Morgan. Miranda was also less annoying (no eye rolls), although I still found AJ really one-note at times. I think Eric Nelsen needs to start putting more layers into his lines where he's not just showing one emotion at a time.

And of course, David Hayward, he carries the show ... Great scene as he laid into Cara for the abortion and Cara tried to say how David's misdeeds were not something she wanted pass on to the next generation. I hope that got through to David a bit that he needs to stop blaming other people all the time like JR; he's at fault too.

But interesting Cara said David had said JR was waking up, like she was defending him to Griffin. Maybe whatever secret Cara is still keeping about the baby is not to protect the baby from David after all, but something she has to do for another reason.

In general, I was feeling the lack of 20 somethings would be an issue way back when already, so I'm not surprised it has come to pass that there does indeed seem to be a gap in the cast.

About the writers, I think more of a mix of old/new at both the headwriter and scriptwriter level might have worked best. The show had to bring in established scriptwriters because they had headwriters with no prior AMC writing experience, whereas OLTL could do what it did because it had Susie Bedsow Horgan at first at the top, who had a lot of familiarity with the older OLTL characters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Debbi Morgan's performance in the last scene was just incredible. A performance like that justifies any of AMC's return.

I'm skipping a fair amount of the Cassandra scenes. It's just so bleak.

I wouldn't have had AJ find out about JR waking up and AJ going to see/confront him in the same episode.

The scenes with David and Cara were well-acted, especially by Vincent, but the dialogue was terrible.

Archived