Daytime lineup programming shuffles

• Members

I was thinking of networks moving soaps around for one reason or another(contractual reasons, ratings reasons) and was thinking about which ones probably had the most profound effect on the soaps for better or for worse:

--ABC in 1984--I understand it effectively killed Ryan's Hope in the end.

--CBS in 1972, 1980, 1981, and 1987. The first two I know were particularly bad for all the soaps causing the whole line-up to suffer.

--NBC in 1979--yeah, don't go there!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What specifically happened those years on CBS? Ditto NBC. I didn't realize they made any time slot changes in 1979 other than that crazy 90 minute expansion of AW.

I know time slot switcheroos is what killed EON in 1975, SFT in 1981/82, and LOL during its final years.

Why was The Doctors dropped by so many affiliates towards the end of their run? Did NBC change their time slot to a lunchtime hour where many affiliates air local news?

• Members

EON was really killed by its 1972 timeslot change, which moved it from later in the afternoon to earlier in the afternoon, making it harder for male and younger viewers to watch (a large part of their audience). In 1975, CBS got rid of it altogether by expanding ATWT to an hour.

The 1987-2009 CBS soap lineup was flawless, even when the shows weren't. That daily routine of TPIR/Y&R/news/B&B/ATWT/GL is the essence of daytime TV for me.

• Members

The Doctors was moved from 12:30 to 12 noon when SFT went to NBC which all but killed as most affiliates air their news programs at 12 noon.

In 1980, Y&R which had aired at 12 was expanded to an hour from 1-2. Ratings were not as good so in June 1981, they moved Y&R to 12:30-1:30, and moved SFT to 2:30 which caused ratings to decline. P&G asked them to put it back where it was but Y&R was doing so good (highest rated show after GH/AMC/OLTL) that they wouldn't oblige, and they wound up canceling it in 1982 in favor of Capitol.

• Members

In NYC, this used to be their sequence...Starting at 11 am TPIR, news, Y&R, B&B, ATWT and GL...then in 1995 they moved GL to before TPIR so it went from 10-3.

All My Shadows are you in the central time zone?

• Members

Here CBS was Y&R at 9am, Live with Regis and Kathy Lee/Kelly (It was on our CBS since the Kathy Lee days, yes), TPIR, News, a syndicated sitcom at 1, B&B, ATWT, and GL.

WKYT 27 (our CBS) has never ran Y&R at the correct time. Not that I can ever remember. Ever since I was a kid until 2011 when AMC was canned on ABC. Y&R was always ran at 9am and was a day behind. When ABC dropped AMC. Our station changed to airing Y&R at 1PM. Which, is still not normal time..(12:30-1:30) But, it's no longer a day behind. Problem with that is. It caused them to move B&B to 10:30am.

I have no idea why they never ran Y&R at the correct 12:30-1:30EST time.

Our NBC and ABC affiliates always ran their daytime schedules at the right time. When they had more than one soap of course. I guess they still do though since DAYS is on NBC at 1PM and GH is on ABC at 2PM. So, they are still right and our CBS is still messed up!

• Members

I do recall NBC aired their soaps at the right time in the 80's, 90s, and 2000s (when they had more then one soap) same as with ABC (Ryan's Hope always aired at 12/11 when it was moved to that time slot, same as Loving/The City/Port Charles at 12:30/11:30).

CBS moved Guiding Light from 3/2 to 10/9 in late 1997 and kept it there for a few years, then briefly moved it back to 3/2.. then the network claimed that the ratings were higher at 10/9 then at 3/2 so it moved back there till the show ended in 2009.

When I went to college in 1998/1999.. Sunset Beach didn't air during the day, it was aired on two different NBC affiliates in central Illinois, at either 1 or 2 in the morning, but when i was home on break, the show aired at 3/2. One aired that days episode, and the other aired the previous days episode. Guiding light aired one station at 2 PM and on another station at 3 PM.. same episode. Passions was aired at the right time in both the Chicago area and also in central Illinois (when I was in college).

I think affiliates helped kill a lot of soaps (i.e. Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow, Loving, Port Charles, The Doctors, Ryan's Hope, Sunset Beach, Generations, etc).

• Members

NBC made a number of (disastrous)programming moves with the soaps in 79/80

Firstly, to accommodate the expansion of AW to 90 min, they shifted the start time to 2.30 from the traditional 3 pm.

That pushed The Doctors to 2pm after it had aired at 2.30 for 16 years.

And Days was moved forward a half hour to 1pm.

Then in 1980,to make room for Texas at 3.00,AW got moved again to 2.00 and The Doctors to 12.30.

None of the shows were in great creative shape at the time and the timeslot changes just compounded the problem. At one point, all the NBC shows were at the bottom of the pack. I think even Edge of Night outrated them a few times.

• Members

Actually the 1980 shuffle hurt SFT more than the 1981 one, and had hurt Y&R and ATWT altogether there. Y&R's move to a new timeslot caused a loss, but SFT suffered as well as it lost its lead-in and along with the loss of the Corrington's writing the show. The 1981 shuffle was a correction, it moved Y&R back to its closer original time-slot and put ATWT back in its traditional 1:30 slot until 1987 of course. Contrary to popular belief, CBS moved SFT to the 2:30 because of the fallen ratings, and ratings actually improved as the show was sandwiched between ATWT and GL. Between P&G disliking the move and the advent of Capitol is what caused SFT to be shipped off to NBC.

• Members

In my area it was:

CBS

Y&R 12:30-1:30

B&B 1:30 -2:00

ATWT 2:00-3:00

GL 3:00 - 4:00

ABC

AMC 1:00-2:00

OLTL 2:00-3:00

GH 3:00-4:00

NBC

DAYS 1:00-2:00

Passions 2:00-3:00

That was the schedule as of 2007 (before the soaps started dropping like dead flies). In my area Y&R & B&B still air 12:30-1:30 and 1:30-2:00 & Days still airs at 1. GH is at 2.

• Members

The CBS 1972 shuffle saw

GL moved from 2.30 to 2.00 after 4 years at 2.30

EON moved from 3.30 to 2.30 after 9 years at 3.30

LIAMST from 2.00 to 3.00 after 5 years at 2.00

Secret Storm from 3.00 to 3.30 after 4 years at 3.30

So viewers had a big adjustment to make

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I never understood why the following three schedule changes were never made:

*Moving Loving to 1:30, where it would air between AMC (at 12:30) and OLTL (still at 2:00)

*Placing Capitol at the 1:30 timeslot (like B&B was from day one), so it could have Y&R as its lead-in

*Switching the timeslots of AW and SB (This would have hurt AW, but would have helped SB. I believe a large reason for SBs poor ratings was the fact that it competed against GH and GL at 3:00. SB wouldn't have had that problem if it aired at 2:00, and would have also benefited from a DOOL lead-in. In spite of my personal preference for AW, I honestly believe that SB would have had at better ratings in AW's timeslot than AW itself ended up having.)

• Members

I believe if AW & SB would have swapped timeslots that show would have had a much longer run & might even be around today. Having DAYS as a lead in would have boosted ratings especially during DAYS strong ratings streak in the 90s where it was a cash cow for NBC & one of NBC's five most profitable shows in ANY timeslot. If they had aired together & SB's ratings would've gone up like DAYS did then NBC would've made a fortune on these shows with both being cash cows. I wish SB would've lived on.

Archived