Sleepy Hollow: Discussion Thread

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's been going on for a very long time!  Bring in black characters to increase the audience for white characters.  The ole bait and switch is more noticeable now because the women that are shanked are leads.  Soaps have done it for decades.  Black characters arrive, and before you know it, you are rooting for the white characters they are attached to as the black characters disappear.  

I saw SH's bait and switch happening at the end of S1 with Katrina.  Season 2 didn't look promising at all so I gave up.  I am happy to know that NB was sickened by it and wanted out.  

• Members

I've never seen a show work harder to alienate its audience than Sleepy Hollow. They had everything: ratings, buzz, a devoted fan base. (You should've seen the crowd they got at NY Comicon.) All they had to do was go with the flow but the showrunners simply refused to give in to the FACT that Beharie was a lead. It's not like the fans didn't tell them loud and clear what we wanted to see but they couldn't wrap their minds around it. 

• Members

It's truly mind blowing because they are the ones who made her the lead in the first place. From the first episode I saw her that way, so what they did worked and they didn't like it? How does that make any sense at all? They do not deserve another season and I'm going to be pissed if they get it.

• Members

Based on the many articles I've read today the consensus seems to be that the showrunners thought that the show was mainly about Ichabod. Even in the promotional art for the show you can see that they considered him the most important.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The whole sell of the show early on, and what the press loved to talk about, was isn't it hilarious that Ichabod is a fish out of water and he's so adorkable, and so on. I don't really know if anyone actually expected Abbie to be popular in her own right, or to realize some people might want to see them become a couple (which would have been an absolute if she were a white woman).

Supposedly Mison isn't really all that happy with the show either, negotiating more time off next season if it's renewed. I've rarely heard of that in season 4 on a show with an ensemble cast. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Have they cast the lead yet? I'm sure she will not be black.

Edited to add: Went looking and found they cast Janina Gavankar. Isn't this similar to what happened with POI. Fired Taraji to hire an Indian or Middle Eastern woman. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...