AMC: Thursday, May 2, 2013 Episode Discussion Thread

• Members

One thing I'm finding a little odd at this point is the lack of reaction from the FB posters to Cassandra's scenes. Complaints about the language, complaints about the teens being too "open" with each other, complaints about Cara's sex fantasy being too much when there's been more explicit stuff than that on the soaps for years ( heck, I could show them OLTL scenes from 20 years ago between Nicholas Walker and Fiona Hutchison thrusting it up in Asa's barn over and over). I've seen not one complaint about showing a woman handcuffed to a bed, bruised, slapped around and called a bitch. I don't know whether they're not finding it as disturbing as cuss words or they simply don't give a (insert cuss word) about the character of Cassandra. I wonder if there would have been more of a reaction if this were happening to Kendall.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^ I think part of it is that they don't really know who she is or have much of a reason to care, and the other part is that for whatever reason, violence is more socially acceptable than sex is when it comes to film and television. I have never understood this, but that seems to be the way it is.

• Members

Exactly and that's what makes it hypocritical, a sad commentary, or whatever you want to call it...if they find something offensive such as the language or sex scenes, that's usually across the board--they don't want to see anybody doing it, they don't want the show going to that level, period. But this sexual violence thing with Cassandra hasn't sparked a reaction from those same people, nobody mentions it as having offended them. I do think it's because they don't care about the character but it shouldn't matter. It's like, okay, hit the girl but don't use the f-word while you're doing it.

• Members

While I agree with Ellabelle on the double standard, I think part of the lack of reaction over Cassandra's story is because 1.) her scenes have been really short to the point of being micro-scenes. (Have we even heard her speak an entire sentence?) and 2.) Cassandra is an unknown quantity in a lot of ways. The character left the canvas years ago after a bad run and the actress is new. Every time they switch to Cassandra handcuffed to the bed it's like changing the channel to an episode of SVU because everyone in those scenes is a stranger. If this was happening to Shannon Kane's Natalia I think there would be more of a reaction. I think that once that story starts more development of Cassandra's experience we'll see more reaction.

Plus, again, FB is a nest of Frons fans. IMO the people who cared about anything/anyone other than the quad of suck gave up posting a long time ago. A lot of the people posting on that page are the ones who miss the old days the most because their faves were front and center.

Personally I'm not offended about Cassandra's scenes because the violence makes sense for the context and doesn't seem gratuitous. Of course I'm not offended by the language or sex either. I'm more offended by grown women getting accidentally knocked up over and over than I could ever be about Cara's sex fantasy (Were people really bothered by that?) or Miranda strutting around in her bra.

• Members

I should have known it was Marissa and not Tad that died. Why would David cry at Tad's grave? lol JR being in a coma was obvious though.

So did Cara give the baby up for adoption or have an abortion?

I knew Hunter was up to no good but yikes. I wasn't expecting that. What a perv! Glad AJ punched him out.

Pete & Celia are kinda growing on me even if Pete is coming off a bit stalkerish. Did Celia graduate or is she still at this school? I'm a bit confused here.

• Members

A lot of people are confused about Celia and where she is in terms of schooling. Right now, she's taking a gap year. Basically a year off between high school and college. She tutors at her old school and wears the uniform so that she'll fit in.

• Members

But that's society in general. Murders, attempted murderers, people convicted of manslaughter... are able to commit such acts that END LIFE and are able to leave prison without any fanfare. Yet convicted molesters and rapists, once released, are supposed to register as a "sex offender" even if he or she streaked of flashed a person at 18 or 19 as a joke. We have a less strict view on murder than we do sex crimes. I'm not saying we shouldn't be tough on sexual offenses. I'm saying if we're that tough on sex crimes then we need to be that tough murder. Yet we CHEER on murder in films yet vilify sex in films. It's a weird and hypocritical concept in our society. The entertainment only reflects that hypocrisy.

• Members

Facebook fans seem to be a different breed then the fans posting in most of the message boards. If you don't believe me, hop on over to the Days facebook page where the fans hate Kristen and love Dan/Jennifer. I post stating my dislike of that coupling, and love for Kristen... and I get quite a few likes.

Erica was never the only character featured, she was one of the many aspects that helped make the show back in the day. Whenever SL was on vacation, the show was still good.. but when she came back from vacation, she added an additional spark to an already strong show.

Ryan, Kendall, Zach, and Greenlee were viewed by the shows as the main focus, with all the other characters supporting them... guess most viewers didn't agree since ratings dropped and the show got cancelled. I hope if they do return, that they are support for other people's stories.. and that Greenlee/Ryan are broken up but are still 'friends'.

• Members

For the most part, I'm enjoying this. I think it was mistake with the main J.R. story to spend the whole week keeping who got shot under wraps and much of the dialogue to accomplish it was really clunky, but they seem to have regained most of the lost ground by the end of the week. I can even deal with this Celia/Pete stuff if it's well-integrated into the rest of the stories...and not even having been a viewer in the '70s, it's still sort of amusing that it's Palmer's son playing the Cliff Warner role, with Francesca James playing the "guardian's" (I agree they need to stop saying that word) flunkie.

The stuff with Jesse and Angie's daughter being held hostage and raped is not something I want to see, however. I agree with the earlier comments that this is more jarring territory for a soap than all of the (consensual) sex and R-rated language they could throw in. I turned off OLTL on TV - and all ABC soaps - pretty much until the end after they had Jessica Buchanan tied to a bed getting electro-shock so that she would be compliant while getting raped by her biological father. I can't believe I'm saying this, but at least ABC had the, uh, taste to have her get rescued before the rape part actually happened (although probably more so because of the incest aspect than the sexual violence part). This is not entertaining, and I don't see how this is going to be an informative story about trafficking - or even a sincere exploration of how a woman survives an ordeal like this - when it seems to be all about a vendetta against Jesse and/or Zach. Depicting a woman gratuitously victimized is not a way to up the stakes for stories centered on male characters, and I fear that I don't see how this could turn out to be anything but that.

• Members

Cursing doesn't bother me, steamy love scenes don't bother me (in fact I want more if it's David and Cara!), but extreme violence victimizing women does, so I wish the Cassandra "taken" story would end soon, but I have the sinking feeling it won't! :(

• Members

WORD STEALER!!

I am a firm believer all those FB fans are just multiple accounts Frons owns. My Aunt Shirley owns about 7 accounts (Ironically some have more friends than she does).

Regarding the Cliff/Pete and Nina/Celia connection, I am glade you pointed that out!! I love the contrast!!

But the Cassandra story, too me, is good. It has only been 4 episodes so we don't know what all is going to happen.

Archived