OLTL-Wednesday, May 1st 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In his defense, Heather lied that Sam didn't want the baby because the father was her rapist - but that's a whole other mess of a story. He didn't learn until later Sam really wanted that baby and was grieving. But her pain didn't make him come clean. At that point, he didn't care about Téa's pain or Sam's grief, he was in total CYA mode and he stayed a total coward ever since.

My beef is this is his SECOND freaking dead baby lie. His character never shows any real capacity for growth or avoiding the same mistakes over and over. In contrast, TrevorTodd is a mess of a character, too, BUT I appreciated he couldn't go through with Hope dead baby lie.

• Members
i hated what he did to Tea and Sam but lived for his interactions with Sam and Heather. Todd had inappropriate chemistry with Sam which I know I shouldn't have liked given what he did to her but they worked so well against each other.

I don't think thus phased many Todd fans too much bc many hated Tea and/or Sam and this wasn't the worst thing he's done

• Members

Good show. I loved that they took the pedal off the metal a little and let people take their time.

The La Boulaie/Cramer stuff continues to be really good, really refreshing compared to what we've had for them for years. It's been so long since there have been any scenes of the Cramers actually being a team as opposed to sniping and japing at each other in the broadest possible terms. Tuc Watkins and KDP have taken to the defter touch very well, and I like that everyday family life was also just happening amidst the plot - Sam and David, and Blair and David actually being there for Dorian, together without a lot of bitchery, playing the foils to her. I haven't seen anything like this for the family since Malone II, ten years ago, and it was in far poorer stories at that time. This stuff just really works, because it's letting the characters breathe and be dimensional. Again, the only person who seems to be floundering is Robin IMO. I hope that will change.

The ongoing tension re: Viki, the paper, its descent and Jeffrey's work is building and it's interesting. I also thought it was intriguing that both she and Jeffrey threw the quality of the Sun in his face - I wonder if that will be picked up. When Susie Horgan last worked on the show the Sun was positioned as a sort of '90s answer to something like the Huffington Post, an edgy, dangerous paper that was very earnest about "speaking truth to power" for more than just the privileged few. That concept's become cliche in the digital age of hot blooded political blogs, but the ethos is timeless. And that idea for the paper went out the window almost immediately when Todd returned to the show in 1996 - the Sun hasn't been anything more than a tabloid for over a decade. I wonder if they're planning to change that. I also thought Todd's interplay with both Matthew and Jeffrey was interesting - just the look Matthew gave him was very Eddie Alderson, and Jeffrey seemed to be sizing him up as a newspaperman.

Victor is hiding something. Actually, hiding a lot. I don't know what he's not telling them - perhaps he became a part of the rogue agency? We barely have any of that story yet, so I would think they're holding it back deliberately, but it is getting a bit agonizing to not have people just outright ask, 'who the [!@#$%^&*] did I shoot? How did you survive?' etc. I do think TSJ is much more engaged already; he actually gave some genuine emotion and pleasant smiles to scenes he would've tossed off in the past as the cynical, very outsized creep RC and his team wrote to amuse themselves. RH is also a lot more reserved and restrained. His stuff with Kelley Missal was great for both of them, and well-written. She's so good. I wish they would've touched on the fact that he also ignored her for Starr and Jack, but there's plenty of time for that.

The ladies looked amazing today, especially Blair and Tea. And HBS looked better than she has in forever. I liked that the Nora/Matthew scene didn't end on a nasty note. It would've been so easy to do that.

I also really appreciated the direct GH mentions.

In his own sick way, I thought what Todd did to Tea showed a kind of growth. When he sent Jack away he did it because he could not mentally comprehend life with Blair with a child he believed to be Max Holden's - his personal fury and feeling of being cuckolded overrode his love for Blair. When Todd swapped Victor III for Danny on GH, he did it to 'apologize' to Tea - for killing her husband, and for not being able to save her baby. It was his twisted attempt to give something back.

Later, when he was found out Todd did revert to form and look out for his own freedom, just as he had when Blair learned the truth about Jack. But I thought the two lies were different, for different and equally deep reasons. That's why I liked the baby swap story on GH. But they didn't do nearly enough with his very strange and intriguing dynamic with Sam.

• Members

Agree TrevorTodd is hiding something but the PTSD symptoms are masking whether it's self-preservation or sinister motives.

I always wanted Jack to really lay into Todd & Blair for their blatant favoritism for Starr. Jack did a little of that during the bullying story but not nearly enough exploration of his jealousy. Dani adored Starr too much and it felt contrived. Dani & Jack have the more natural and realistic relationship.

I don't buy RHTodd threw Jack away solely out of jealousy. In fact, I thought RHTodd channeled lots of his 1993 behavior with Marty in the can of dirt scenes. He was that same sociopath who got off on paying back the woman who hurt him. The first dead baby lie felt like his sadistic payback. There's always been this sick element in T&B relationship where they get their rocks off making the other suffer.

I don't think he set out to hurt Téa with the 2nd dead baby lie as much as he chose the easy and cowardly way out. It was still very cruel and proved he hasn't learned a thing b/c he understood from prior experience, the damage such lies inflict. He hasn't grown up b/c he never put anyone's needs above his own.

• Members

I think it's clear Victor has PTSD. I don't know if his motives are sinister per se but I suspect he may have had to become a part of the organization in order to survive.

I don't think Todd is a sociopath. That indicates he has no feeling for others. He clearly feels deeply, always has, but he channels that intense emotion to warped ends. He mentally compartmentalized his banishment of Jack apart from his renewed relationship with Blair, and he put aside the fact that he was stealing another woman's child in order to 'gift' Tea with the one he felt she deserved from him. The contexts are always only about what is directly in front of him.

Dani was basically mini-Starr and her handmaiden, like Langston before her. It was a complete waste of both young women (not Starr, who was the problem). Their immediate closeness never made sense to me. I don't think Todd and Blair (and Victor and Tea) favored Starr over Jack so much as FV and RC did, but I think all the children (except Starr) got lost in the shuffle for all their parents due to crisis after crisis.

• Members

I am very happy with what I see so far except for Dorian. I like the storyline but Strasser is, as many others have said, too over the top. I prefer my Dorian cold and calculating -- something that's been all too rare during her pairing with David. Tuc has toned things down a bit, hopefully Robin will follow suit. Though I'll continue to love her no matter what she does.

• Members

That's not even about David, really. Robin has been at this level since she first returned to the show in the 2000s. I think Frank and then Ron institutionalized it for her as well. I wish she would calm down because it's extremely glaring in these scenes where even Tuc Watkins is bringing some realism and a more mature David, and she is Robin [!@#$%^&*] Strasser - she has nothing left to prove to anyone.

Archived