What Political Ideology/Affiliation Would Your Soap Character Have?

• Members

I have to agree with you here, Carl. Perhaps it was Ron being "cutesy" or him trying to present a kinder and gentler Edward Q legacy/GH, but that line rang false with me--especially given his history and personality on the show.

Do you think that Scott would've followed suit or had gone the opposite way of his father?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree generally with your point -- my family was broadly Republican and PBS was always on in my home. Not just Sesame Street -- I'm talking Wall Street Week, Masterpiece Theatre, Miss Marple (the parents were OBSESSED with Miss Marple), and Are You Being Served? which was totally non-PC.

Having said that, the line about PBS in Edward's will was not prompted by PBS's reputation of stellar, educational programming. It was prompted by a much talked-about issue in last year's presidential campaign, where Obama defended public funding to PBS at a time when the Reps were looking to slash spending on such things. So there was a very definite political connotation attached to the PBS throwaway line. Which is fine; I thought it was amusing that EQ would rather leave his money to Big Bird than to Tracy. Plenty of businessmen are Dems -- Edward in some ways is a cuddlier, funnier version of Joseph P. Kennedy. I'm just saying that, in my mind's eye, I figured the character would veer more towards GOP.

• Members

Yep. I sort of like the idea that Jax would become a powerful city mayor à la Bloomberg! And while I despise Guza's destrction of GH in its totality, I think the Anna Wintouresque Kate Howard (before she she was recast, started cracking jokes like Fozzie Bear and dressing like a polyester-clad prom queen) had chemistry with everybody, including Ingo, and was one of the few bright spots in those dark days.

• Members

Fozzie is my favorite Muppet, actually :lol:

Why else do you think that I refer to her as The Real Kate Howard? ;) Like you said, she was a bright spot in the otherwise-dismal female population under the showkiller's pen. I can easily see her campaigning for an ambassadorship for an overseas country (like Ms. Wintour) due to her political connections - and it'd make a far more believable exit story than her just fading away.

As for Jax, I've never thought of him as mayor of PC, but I'd be willing to get behind that if it means that he actually garners some teeth and isn't just a figurehead official. Sure, he'd value making money over the day-to-day doldrums of politics, but I can easily see him as a King Bloomberg sort with a JFK, Jr. image

• Members

On Y&R, I think John and Jack Abbott are Mid-Western country-club Republican stock, old-school Reps who also funded pro-civil causes in the 1960s. John Abbott probably voted Nixon -- twice. But John, were he not ghosting around today as a pod version of his true self, would be rightly outraged at the Fox News/Christian Coalition people hijacking "his" party.

Jack probably dabbled with the Democrats in the 1960s, when he graduated High School, smoked his first joint and made it past third base with his first college girlfriend. Indeed, he probably modeled his youthful style and East Coast manners on JFK. And then he went to Vietnam and bonded with men of all backgrounds (but mostly poor and very different from his life). When he came back home in 1974, he probably felt disillusioned with everything he'd grown up to accept as truth. However, as he got more into business -- and the ladies -- he probably ended up voting for Reagan in 1980. The go-go 80s was definitely Jack's glory decade (especially as played by Terry Lester).

Victor Newman... this is a tough one for me. For one thing, Victor was not born American. Y&R suggests that Christian Miller was Canadian -- but his father sounded anglo-Canadian in the scenes we saw. Christian could be the French name his French-speaking Quebecoise mother gave him? I am speculating here, but what i do know is that Victor remade himself. He was always his Own Man and proudly claims he never asked for a penny of help from anybody, he made it all on his own through his own hard work. That sounds like the kind of thing my (Republican) grandfather would say, it is almost mythically Republican in its rhetoric. So I would def say that Victor, like Jack, voted Reagan in 80 and 84. But like any wealthy dealmaker, Victor will give money to whichever organization feels good to him at that moment, so maybe Clinton got his vote, especially in 1996. Victor's comments to Neil on the day that Obama was inaugurated suggest that he likely also voted for Obama in 2008.

Billy (as played by Billy Miller) probably votes Democrat because FauxToria tells him to, but his hand is itching to tick that box marked "Ron Paul" and "Libertarian."

• Members

I love Fozzie, too! But everytime I see Kawnnee, I hear Fozzie's voice in my head going "Wacca WACCA!" Kelly Sullivan has that Wacca Wacca delivery when Kawnnee is machine-gunning her lines.

The Real Kate Howard, le sigh. Megan Ward was an oasis of class, dry wit and actual relatability on GH. No wonder she was fired. Heaven forfend. Can't have that! She might steal the limelight from those actors ABC *insist* that you to love!

• Members

I would say and Viki is a Democrat and Clint is a Republican. Those Texas oil moguls...Bo was probably a Rep but I could see Nora convincing him otherwise

I think Roman and John are Republicans

And y'all know Angie and Jesse are Dems

• Members

She had just died and he was wondering why his whole family died and he still was living. Then he told Skye the story about the time he met his idol, the man who he modeled his life on even though he disagreed with his politics and was in a different party. That guy was Joseph Kennedy and Edward, if I remember this correctly, felt that his family was paying a price because his kids were dying too. Something like that.

• Members

You know, I never made the connection, but now that I think of it, Konnie does have a Waka-Waka-Waka tone to her voice... :lol: I'll never be able to unhear that now... :P

The fact that The Real Kate Howard managed to rub some of that sheen while bringing some wit back to Sonny (something that I'd once thought was a skill that only belonged to my beloved Queen B) is enough of a reason why she was a welcome oasis. Sucks to high heaven that they'd trashed all of MW's hard work in order to water down The Real Kate Howard into a subpar recast.

Speaking of The Real Kate Howard, I wonder what Trevor Lansing (and Ric, for that matter) would politically identify as?

• Members

Ah, yes, two of my favorite subjects--soaps and politics! Nerd heaven for me. biggrin.png

There's no doubt in my mind that Asa Buchanan was a conservative Texas Republican, perhaps one that went from supporting fellow Texan LBJ to Nixon (this was brought up in one of the 1968 episodes during the 40th anniversary).

Actually, I can see quite a few of the OLTL crew around 1995, specifically during the mayor's election between Liz McNamara and Alex (held the same night as T&B's Golden Balloon wedding), being divided between fiscal conservative/socially moderate-to-liberal Republicans--perhaps in the vein of 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole (Alex kind of strikes me like this--and in real life I think Tonja Walker is at least an independent fiscal conservative) and Democrats, and I DEFINITELY would put Bo & Nora in that category.

For some reason, despite not being her biggest fan, I can see Tina being in the former category, supporting Alex.

Actually, I would have been interested to see what Max & Cord were, both being native Texans themselves.

Not sure about Gabrielle, both because she was from Argentina (well actually she was British-Argentinean), and of course she spent 7 years in prison (albeit for a crime she didn't commit)--could she even vote after she got out?

I got the impression, based on some 95 era scenes, that Alan & Monica were actually Democrats, along with Lois and her entire family.

I'm too young to have seen SB, but from what I understand, Mason & Julia were shown as a politically-divided couple, with Mason as a more conservative lawyer and Julia the more liberal one (big shock, given NLG played her laugh.png ).

But I'll let an SB fan confirm that themselves. smile.png

• Members

Yes this was a great little scene. I looked it up after you posted about it yesterday and now I will watch it again. The only negative thing is Edward seems a little too sane after learning his granddaughter was murdered . It would be better if he gave this speech a few days later.

• Members

Erica probably never paid much attention to politics. She worked with gay men a lot in her modeling career and had no problem; I think she wanted Bianca to be a carbon copy of herself....but Bianca liked girls. That was the conflict - Bianca wasn't anything like Erica after puberty. Erica loves the gays.
I loved the scene circa 2000 when Erica judged that 'Erica Kane Drag Queen' contest @ SOS. That NEEDS to be on YouTube.

Archived