Actors who always had a mature/matronly look

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finola Hughes was a year younger than I am now when she joined GH in 1985 (I'm 24), but there was something about her that seemed older--not in a haggard way, but in a mature, more sophisticated way.

I honestly wouldn't have guessed that Fiona Hutchison was just about to turn 27 when she joined OLTL in 1987.

Florencia Lozano, to be perfectly honest, has always looked a bit older than her age to me.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Erika Slezak was my first pick, too. IRL she is several days older than my dad, and exactly 2 weeks older than Bill Clinton. Seeing photos from her on OLTL in the early/mid-70s, she doesn't look much different then than she does now.

Judith McConnell, when she first joined SB, had just turned 40. Somehow she still looked believable as the mother of grown children. Now she is the star of a current Walgreen's commercial as the "pedicure lady":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnu9aKxRG0

• Members

That just didn't make sense to me, since Austin was with Carrie and Billie was with Carrie's Uncle Bo. Meanwhile, Kate must've been 4 years old when she gave birth to her first child. But yeah, Billie definitely had a mature look to her even in '92.

• Members

I would have to agree with both of those. Susan Flannery also gets a mention from me. I came across some photos of her from the 70s in an old soap magazine, and she looked matronly back then too.

I disagree with the Susan Lucci mention from someone though - Erica never looked 'mature or matronly'. There were times when she was dressed in business suits most of the time, and she looked the part of a CEO, but matronly? Nope. It was plausible for Erica to be pregnant in the 70s, and Susan looked young enough that it was still plausible for Erica to be pregnant by Dimitri in 1997 when AMC had her miscarry. Actually for a few years beyond that, she still could have pulled off a late in life pregnancy story for Erica, despite being older than the character was.

As far as mature-looking actors go, David Canary gets a nod from me. He would have been believable as a father to a grown man back in the mid 80s with that bit of silver in his hair.

Archived