John Conboy at GL?

• Members

The type of material which aired during the Conboy/Weston era was horrifically bad, worse than any of bad moments from the B&E era and even Lucky Gold, destroying all the good that Taggert had developed. I don't know if I can add anymore to what has already been mentioned, but hey those early days of Kriezman/Wheeler when I had heard they had recast Dinah Marler.....DINAH! A character from before 2003! I was so happy at the time as all those wacky mind-bending tales were over and the ridiculous characters like Nico, Darci, Joey, Eden #1&#2(I liked #2 better, but both were bad!), Lori Jensen, Brad&Marie Green(Michael Swan and Mark Pinter both wasted!) etc. were gone.

Not to mention interesting stories like Reva's stalker was ruined. They even brought back Annie Dutton and were going down to the stalker being Jonathan before Weston twisted into it being Alexandra. Same with Phillip/Olivia/Alan triangle and ruining stuff like Ed/Holly, Bill/Michelle, and Danny/Cassie. The last straw BEFORE the Maryanne Carruthers story was definitely Beth and Jeffery O'Neill having sex in a Japanese restaurant.

Oh and the less said about Gayne the better....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dinah coming back to the show was an edict from CBS as they wanted to hire Gina Tognoni. She was given the option of a Bell show or Dinah on GL, and chose Dinah.

If the Japanese restaurant was closed when Beth and Jeffrey had sex... that said I can't talk as I've liked other scenes where couples have had sex in restaurants.

• Members

Didn't know that about CBS and Dinah, but hey like I said after WesCon completely ignored GL history before 2003 and rewrote it bringing back Dinah was refreshing to hear. What about the Roger story(which started out good but ended badly) or rewriting Sandy(terrible!) as not being Jonathan?

All I can think of 2003 Guiding Light is this song. Yes it was part of the sometimes offbeat "Hot Enough For You" campaign for the summer of 2003, but WesCon's GL played it to death:

Yes its that song, you remember it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4EUFjx2q54

• Members

I wasn't a huge fan of Taggert's run, which I saw as too many plot-point stories that involved characters being stupid/unpleasant, and a whole lot of forced, histrionic drama, so I was willing to give Conboy a chance. But the show felt off to me from very early in his run, I felt totally disconnected, whereas at least, in spite of disliking most of the plots, I felt a little connection with Taggert's run. I had to stop after the serial killer Ben story, especially the reveal that he was a serial killer because he'd been molested as a child. I HATE this type of writing. I HATE it. More than I can say. I hate this fake-relevant bullshit where you have psychobabble to mask your sleazy, trash plot points. [!@#$%^&*] that. The whole thing was like Agnes Nixon on acid.

I would take GL's last year over any of this. Any of it. The show was not good but it felt like "my" show, especially the last week. Conboy's last week would have been Marty West bouncing a quarter off his ass.

The only good thing about his run was Cassie/Edmund.

• Members

I seem to recall Conboy saying Teresa Hill had nice legs and was keeping her front and center as Eden but never understood why the recast with Deborah Zoe(who was better) but still Eden was such a waste.

Taggert's run did have its bad moments like the Tony/Marah mess, Romeo Jones, and Carmen's exit climax being a letdown but overall I think they were trying to achieve a more traditional GL and use its history.

It's quite sad, ATWT and GL both had serial killer storylines that summer. While ATWT had Bob and Susan dicing it up with Jeff Colby from Dynasty as a mad doctor, GL had good kid Ben turn twisted and kill Colleen Dion.

Archived