When and Why Did Cartini Lose Favor on This Board?

• Members

Back in 2009 I thought OLTL had good production values considering that Valentine used to work under budget. Of course, I used to compare it with Tomlin's shitty production on DAYS since they also worked on a low budget. But GH's production values have really taken a dive since Valentine took over as EP. I like that he still shoots outdoor from time to time, but so does Bell on B&B while looking much better.

I've never liked Carlivati's writing.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where Carlivati and Valentini went wrong is one question, and a very complex one with multiple parts.

When this board didn't favor them? That's far easier, and I know because I was there: SON has simply never, ever liked them. I did, when they were good. But the majority of the board's most vocal posters overall reacted to growing positive sentiment towards them by clamping down on them in the fall of 2007. So that's that.

• Members
I've always said that coming in under budget was a mistake. Use all the money they give you! If you come in under budget, it sends a message that you have too much money to begin with and they always ask you to cut more. The rumor mill says that GH always came in OVER budget. Which show is still on ABC - OLTL which came in under budget or overbudgeted GH? Don't make the same mistake twice Frank!

• Members

They had a far amount of supporters, I should know, I was one of them. Especially around the time they came back from the writers strike. They hadn't sunk to doing their "Haha mentally ill people" crap by that point. The only folks I remember constantly nagging about their stuff early on were marceline and some of the Y&R fans.

• Members
I think this board liked them when they replaced Higley. And much of their current support rises from the Guza hate faction. The fact is they were never good and any affection for then arises out of loathing for their predecessor(s).

But seriously. Writing scene after scene for the purpose of taking pot shots at PP is arrogance at its worst. Write your show. Make it better. Forget OLTL gtfo

• Members

I certainly didn't think that Cartini lost favor as far back as many have suggested. However, I apologize for my far from flawless memory, and appreciate the corrections.

It was always my impression that Cartini were loved by many posters here back in 2011 (save for a token few like Carl, Marceline, and myself). I was under this impression because there was so much outrage over OLTL's cancellation. Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I recall one of the reasons for the outrage was because many felt that OLTL was "really good" in terms of quality back then (and were grateful to Cartini for the quality of the show). (Of course, there were other reasons for the outrage, like the insensitive way Frons treated fans and the fact that OLTL's ratings were considerably better to what AMC had.)

• Members

Ah yes, back when people jumped all over me for referring to the Church of Carlivati. #vindicated

At first my big issue with Carlivati was the hype surrounding him. Thanks to Higley, OLTL viewers were so deep in Battered Viewers Syndrome that they were just grateful not to get pushed down the stairs. I never liked him but I didn't really grow to hate him (as a writer, not a person) until three things:

1. Sending RJ off with a note. I'm not even going to get into the mess of breaking up RJ and Lindsay just have her back humping Bo's leg but sending RJ off like a chump was unforgivable. Or so I thought. I had no idea what unforgivable would look like until...
  2. The Rapemance. Even now it's hard for me to convey what a visceral hatred I have and had for that story and what it represented. It was sickening and it defiled the original Spring Fling story in a particularly hateful, misogynistic way. That's the story where I wanted to punch RC in the neck (as a writer) then set his WGA card on fire in front of him. The Rapemance was OLTL's Unabortion.
  3. Last but not least: Daniela Rayburn Delgado Manning. KM is a sweet kid and I wish her the best but I can't stand the sight of Dani because she's the corporeal manifestation of everything I find wrong with RC's writing: his laziness, (I want TnT to have a kid so let me just invent one), his disrespect for the audience and previous story, (Who cares if we said over and over again that they slept together 8 years ago? They'll accept whatever I tell them.) his adoration of his own cleverness, (Let's have Jack reference their age difference. Won't that be hilarious?!) and especially, his misogyny (I can't make Tea a rape victim since I raped Marty and Jessica so let me turn her into a babymaker. Because women can only be one or the other.)

After all the above, I'm now to the point where I don't even really "hate" RC (as a writer). I think of him as the equivalent of Stephanie Meyer. He's a mediocre writer in an age when mediocrity can be very profitable.

Archived