When and Why Did Cartini Lose Favor on This Board?

• Members

Im actually not huge on the mobbie GH, at least of the 2000s.

My favorite GH era is like 1993-1999. However, just because that my favorite doesnt mean any other era of GH is a phony or a fake, its still General Hospital. Just like there was a GH before the Q Family, that doesnt make the Q family less than. LL are on the cover of magazines because their wedding is the biggest daytime event ever.

While i disagree that the Mob GH is only the real GH to fans of only the mob era, even if that was true so what? Its their GH and it isnt any less real than your era, or your GH because in reality - it happened. On General Hospital. It is in fact, really GH.

The majority of the examples you provided dont go, as they are different series just based on the same thing. Happy Days does, and the same applied. The non RH seasons are still really the tv show happy days, its just not the best years/fan favorites. Saying that the mob centric GH is not the real GH is exactly like saying the action adventure super couple era is not GH because thats not what it was about before.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my final shot to try and explain this. Some years ago Diana Ross staged a concert series featuring her and The Supremes, only the people she had with her were not the real Supremes. Yes, technically these two people might have sang under the name Supremes, but everyone on earth knew that even if three people in 1977 loved those two girls that it didn't matter because everyone knew what the real Supremes was supposed to be. No amount of "yes but they were the Supremes to those people in 1977" was going to cut it. That a comparatively miniscule audience loves GH circa 2005 doesn't matter because if that was the real GH it would have been Sonny and Carly on TV Guide and not Luke and Laura. Like it or not Luke and Laura and the era they imply is the real GH. It's like saying "Who's the real James Bond? Why Timothy Dalton of course".

• Members

Again, i understand what your explaining - you fail to realize tho that again you provide an example of a reboot, a new version of something old. This doesnt apply to soap operas. They dont stop and then reboot years later, well until recently with amc and oltl. Whos the real James Bond? Every actor that played him, thats why. Now, who is your personal favorite? Who is the first bond you seen? Who is the best bond? Thats different. But just because I say PB is my James Bond, but you say TD doesnt mean PB is a fake bond, or that my opinion isnt valid. It means you have a different view, a different perspective, and thats fine.

Sonny and Carly are as real to GH as Luke and Laura, the Q family, as the webbers, the hardys, the hospital, as casey the aliean and sabrina are. Different people started watching at different times, have different favorites, and like different things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and prefering Sonny and Carly and 2005 GH to what is on now doesnt make one any less of a fan than someone else.

• Members

Ha.

Oh, don't get it twisted - Ron is a hack for what bullshit he's writing (that is, unless he miraculously decides to change course at the 11th hour) for my girl.

However, that is a separate issue from the fuckery that I'd read on the soap internets for the year prior to my 1-day return: that Cartini was worse than showkiller Guza/cryptkeeper Frons/bootleg Janet Wood because wack-ass General Mobspital was leagues better than what they'd been doing. No matter what low opinion I've got of Ron, I will always call bullshit on that and anyone who has the temerity to fix their fingers to type that crap.

Frankly, I lay the blame at cryptkeeper Frons' feet for signing off on that sh!t.

• Members

I'd actually watched both (the real GH of the 90s & Cartini's OLTL) and while I've got zero use for the latter's version of GH these days and enjoyed their OLTL a helluva lot better than the bootleg Sopranos GH that was allowed to fester like an infected wound on daytime for far too long. My criticism (or in a particular case, vitriol) has to do with:

1. Ron bringing back one of the most popular heroines (as well as my favorite GH character) to sh!t on her instead of rectifying the fuckery that showkiller Guza saddled her with

2. Allowing showkiller Guza's pets to live on even though they should've been kicked off the pier like the roided goiter was, thus undermining their claim that their aim is to bring the show back to its former glory.

x infinity

• Members

Morning VH smile.png

So they are hacks when they write something for VM that you don't like? That's a poor stanish way of looking at things. The writing need not improve and there need be no structure or continuity as long as they stay away from your favorite? Okie dokie...

BTW, if written well, Brenda bedding Michael would be a good story (Sonny would lose it, Carly's head would spin because the rival she always dominates finally got her ass and Michael would be caught in the middle...no one wants to do drama anymore. Sigh!), but as it stands, this was just a way to put a big fat PERIOD to SnB so that the audience can root for the bitch, Falconeri. I'm gonna pass!

And as for pets, the nerve! The absolute nerve! FRon pets are not even GH characters, yet the time, energy and money spent on them is worse than anything Frons, Phelps and Guza could ever do. At least 2 of their pets were born to legacy GH characters. Todd, Starr and John are related to exactly who? The fuss over these 3 while ignoring the trash they put on 5 days a week? Surely, you jest!

• Members

Hello, CH:

Yes, Ron is most certainly a hack for choosing not to undo the damage that showkiller Guza had done to Brenda Barrett. The tools were there and the character's fans (myself included) expected him to provide her with the same regard as they'd done with the real AJ Quartermaine. He ignored that and is choosing to go down a road that made me pull my support for him. I've made it crystal clear that the only way that I'd return to watching this show full-time is if my girl were to return - which I did for a day, until I'd read of his plans to make a fool of her as showkiller Guza'd done before him and I've chosen not to sit through that again while condemning the sh!t out of him.

• Members

Yes, pets (showkiller Guza's pets, to be exact). While Cartini did this show a huge solid by getting rid of that waste of space roided goiter, they haven't fully committed to getting rid of the rest of the garbage that showkiller Guza left behind. This leads me to believe that their commitment to bettering GH is shaky at best and all that talk about giving it a complete overhaul is paid lip service.

Archived