TNT revived Dallas why can't it revive ATWT and GL??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is it with this new obsession that everyone wants their favorite canceled soap to be revived. As much as I loved Santa Barbara, it is over. I want to see new soaps. A few revivals are ok, and it has to be done with the right shows. A new Dallas made sense, it was a mega hit in the 80's, and it is going a great job mixing the old vets with the new generation, if the writers didn't do that, we wouldn't be talking about it because it would have been canceled after a few episodes.

It doesn't seen right to label AMC and OLTL as revivals. As Prospect Park made the deal with ABC to continue the existing shows when they were still on the air, the original intention was to premiere AMC four months after it ended on ABC and OLTL the following monday after its ABC finale. Had that happened it would have been labeled simply a transition from t.v. to internet. They needed more time and so now it is labeled a revival. There is a big difference of having a production company interested in these soaps right when ABC canceled them and having someone come along and want to bring back soaps that have been gone for years, thats not going to happen, and I don't want it to either. There is nothing wrong with new soaps, maybe there is a great idea waiting to wow us and rise to the top of the ratings and truly revive the genre. Looking to the past won't save the genre, rather new ideas and new soaps will be what continues the genre into the 21st Century.

• Members

Right about now I am feeling this and this is coming from someone who FLOVES ATWT & GL. They were my two shows (along with AW). I don't see P&G doing a revival anytime soon. I don't see anyone shelling out the rights to these shows anytime soon. And if these shows were brought back, I don't see them being edgy like AMC & OLTL might be upon their revivals (which will make them sell to future audiences b/c sex sells. . .closedeyes.jpg ) b/c P&G is VERY conservativeangry.png .

• Members

YES. I've been saying this since ATWT was canceled. Their TV movies are usually well-done and well-received. They could do like two movies a year for each soap, only have two or three storylines in each movie, make the movies mainly self-contained, but also leave those hanging lines for the next movie, feature only some of the cast in each one, etc. It could freaking work.

• Members

That's a great point some made regarding that the emphasis should be on new soaps over revivals of dead ones. But--and this isn't going to be popular--the production companies (in part) want to pander to and profit off of disgruntled and depressed fans of the cancelled soaps. This wouldn't be possible if a new soap was created. Furthermore, a new soap would have far less name recognition than even a cancelled soap has.

Therefore, executives will probably believe that it is much better business to revive a dead soap, although I have strong doubts if it is in the best interest of the genre (or even in the best interest of the shows being revived). If the revivals of AMC and OLTL turn out to be huge successes, I will apologize for being wrong.

Archived