Is OLTL going to be a youth soap and AMC a more traditional soap?

• Members

Before I start.... I'm really excited about the online version of AMC and OLTL and I believe this could be the start of something great, a new era for the genre.

I believe the internet format is exciting and allows the writers to have a different forum in which to tell their stories.

Although I believe there are some fundamentals of soap opera that will remain true whether or not the soap airs on tv or the internet.

I'm a huge OLTL fan, but I'm starting to get nervous over the vibe I'm getting its going to be geared towards the younger characters. We've heard they hired a bimbo from Jersey Shore, some rapper is making an appearance and Snoop is back and unlike the last time, his version of the opening theme won't be for one episode but the theme of the show.

This doesn't seem like the OLTL I love. I'm certainly keeping an open mind, although we've seen how this has played out on the tv soaps that only wanted to appeal to the younger demos. They all failed. Will internet OLTL make the same mistake?

I can't say I've been following the AMC buzz that much, but from what I can tell, OLTL is going all out to be the hip youth-obsesed soap and AMC is going down a more traditional road. And I say good for AMC!

Hooking new viewers should be the goal of OLTL and AMC, but that should be a long term goal, they need to keep the faithful tv fans returning to watch on these internet versions. I'm excited for the premiere, but I'm getting nervous over what I fear the new OLTL looks like.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First of all, I have the same concerns about my favorite soap. That it won't be the soap I loved. I hated summer because I knew OLTL would start leveraging the teens and they just don't interest me. But I've given up worrying about it for the reboot and I've accepted that its not going to be a seamless continuation of mt OLTL. It will be very different. Maybe I will enjoy it and maybe I won't. Remains to be seen. On the other hand, I have a 19 year old daughter who loves all the Disney Primetime soaps like Secret Life and Lying Game and Switched at Birth etc. I enjoy those too. So ima take a wait and see attitude. And it would make good business sense for PP to test alternative concepts w/AMC and OLTL. its a new venture. They're testing.

• Members

I understand why some people think this but I don't really get that impression. I think the difference in the two shows is more about the fact that OLTL is picking up in real time and AMC has a time jump. A lot of the OLTL stuff seems to be focused around Shelter and whatever is happening at that club when the show kicks off. They're hitting the ground running. AMC appears to be using the time jump as an attempt to reset and re-orient the characters and given the fuckery of AMC's last few years, I think that's very, very necessary.

Like it or not, OLTL's stunt casting is completely consistent with RC's version. Reality stars, youth-oriented musicians, Snoop, etc...nothing's changed there but OLTL is also supposedly giving plenty of play to the Viki/Dorian feud, the Todd/Blair clusterfuck, Tea/Victor and Bo/Nora so it looks like a decent mix from where I stand. I suspect that we'll get a round of AMC stunt casting once they start taping again as well as a story preview video

If I had to point out a difference between the two it seems like OLTL is going to be focused more on couple-oriented stories while AMC is leaning toward family-based drama. But obviously that can change in a moment.

• Members

It's too early to tell. I think saying OLTL will be a "youth soap" is an exaggeration. The teens were focused on heavily in the video, but it's not enough to go on. With that said, I'd be disappointed if the teens were the main focus.

I'm not sure about AMC because OLTL has been getting all the attention lately. That should change in these coming weeks now that it's their turn to film.

• Members

I'm pretty sure most of the Shelter footage is from the first week, possibly the premiere,

I don't think the promo is indicative of anything other than the usual soap staples - romance, drama, heartache, and sex. We know they're opening with a major popular umbrella storyline the show left on a cliffhanger, as well as the Viki/Dorian media feud. It's obviously a more "edgy" show because it had so much going on plot-wise at the end, whereas AMC had been in fairly weak shape before Lorraine returned to help put it back together and thus, IMO wrapped a lot cleaner save JR's gunfire. So I do think the launch is probably more plot-oriented on their end, but I think that's a good thing for the show in this particular case.

The celebrities don't bother me. Soaps have been doing those since Sammy Davis, Jr., Liz Taylor and Carol Burnett, not to mention countless musical guests well pre-dating FV and RC. I just am in no rush to pigeonhole either show.

Archived