Tony Geary, Jane Elliot, Kin Shriner TV Guide Interview

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was twenty years ago (almost), and I thought you meant the press comments. I think we see how Geary views the writing of our saviors by the way he keeps having Luke drink in spite of scripts claiming Luke is on the wagon.

• Members

He doesn't even have to speak to the press, but he does. And when he does, he makes a point of praising Valentini and Carlivati, as in the Variety article quoted in one of SON's news articles today. I'm not aware of this drinking thing since I only just started watching again a couple weeks ago. It might be he's dissatisfied with that particular thing. But to think he wouldn't be happy about the return of characters like Bobbie, Laura, and Anna doesn't make much sense to me.

• Members

Thanks, I didn't know when Anna first came on. I knew Luke had been on at the same time as Robert and that Luke and Robert had been friends.

The general point still stands. Why would he not be happy with people with ties to the show returning that also have ties to his character?

• Members

He could offer a kidney to Frank and Ron and you would still think he probably didn't like them, LOL. Also, not sure what you're referring to by "his work since her return." The old chemistry is still clearly there. He's been great in his concern for Lulu and his mixed reaction to Nikolas. That doesn't mean he would support Luke and Laura getting back together, nor would I.

• Members

You don't have to be close personally to have a great professional working relationship and for it to be good for your character to have ties to other characters. Luke and Laura definitely still have some kind of draw to them.

Tony Geary is private and not close with many of his costars.

The fact is, Geary is going on record with effusive praise for the regime. The evidence on the other side seems to be largely speculative -- he isn't close to so and so, and his good performances are bad acting.

Anyway, he's not even close to the only one at GH who's said they're happy with Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati. I couldn't care less what Geary thought if he hated them, since he also hated Culliton.

• Members

Tony Geary in recent months went off-script to portray Luke as casually drinking - more than once - when scripts called for him to stay sober (Luke killed his grandson in a drunk driving accident). Carlivati went on Twitter to make sure people knew it was ad-libbed, not a writer choice, because people were so concerned about that image. To me, this isn't respecting or appreciating a writer, but we can agree to disagree.

• Members

Ad libbing and rewriting scenes to suit what they think their characters should be doing are why I think Elizabeth Hubbard, Charles Keating, and Geary are overrated. This isn't something Geary only does with Carlivati, and isn't necessarily out of dissatisfaction with the writer or the writing as a whole.

I did read that Luke ran over his grandson. Maybe Geary doesn't think Luke would be able to be sober even after that.

• Members

I don't know if there's a way to go back from that. Once I thought having Helena have Jake was the answer, as the character had such future potential, but that's a ways off, I think. I don't know. I do know he has to face it, as well as face up to what he lost when he disdained his history and his family - and be faced with a credible threat for Laura as well, which Scott is not.

Whatever happened to the house Luke and Laura loved so much, the one they fixed up and made their home when they came back in 1993? It was such a beautiful place.

• Members

Umm the reason he stopped drinking was due to his drinking causing the accident... Not to sound snotty, but it seems silly to argue these points when you admit to not even knowint he very basic story (OK that does sound snotty, but I've not been a close GH watcher for a decade plus till the past year, but stories like these still got a lot of attention I guess--the Jake thing wasn't long ago.)

Didn't Geary use to often praise Guza to the press too--and now that he's left he's all about RC? I thought that was more the issue...

Archived