Y&R's Debut Episode from 3/26 1973

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It wouldn't let me log in, either, but I did some poking around and saw something about the server having technical difficulties. Sorry :( I had the episode saved at one point, but I must have deleted it. Actually, I think I still have it on my ipod, so when I get a chance, I'll try to pull it from there and upload it to YT.

• Members

IIRC, their selection isn't very big (compared to what they have from other genres). Some 1979-1980 GH episodes, two episodes of Peyton Place, two heavily-edited episodes of Dark Shadows, an episode or two of AMC from the late 80s, ATWT's 50th anniversary episodes (and also an 80s ep), a good bit of 50s 15-minute episodes of various soaps. The Y&R ep is probably the biggest "find."

• Members

I'd seen part of this but never the full episode. I'm still so impressed at how they cast attractive actors who were not cookie cutter. They look real. Chris was probably the show's main junior leading lady and she looks like someone you could pass on the street.

The most Bill Bell-esque scene was probably that Leslie/Chris scene, where I was amused by some of the dialogue.

I had no idea that Deirdre Hall got the last scene of the first episode. I wish someone could interview her for the anniversary.

That scene of Pierre singing "Theme from a Man and a Woman" to a mostly empty place made me laugh for a while. That's not really a song that I'd want to hear performed.

• Members

70s Y&R is really good. It will definitely give you a new perspective on the whole Katherine versus Jill feud. If you ever get to the Paley Center, they have some key episodes there, but for you new soap fans - a warning- it is really slow. Lots of pauses, five minute scenes, lots of flashbacks. If you like that kind of thing, you'll be in heaven.

• Members

What a wonderful premiere episode!! Tom Hallick (Brad Eliot) was so handsome. The Brooks and Foster families were so dynamic and complex, not to mention unique. If only we could see the next episode following this one, if that was the episode which put the spotlight on the Foster family (sans Snapper): Liz, Jill and Greg. Y&R was in a league of its own in its first five years give-or-take. It's a shame, however, that the Brooks and Foster families have been wiped out of existence. The idiocy of the current-era writers making Jill a Fenmore nailed the coffin shut once and for all.

I think online streaming the first ten years (perhaps extending it a few years more, ending with Terry Lester's final performance as Jack) would be a godsend. So many memorable characters and names graced Genoa City during those years.

• Members

This first episode was a treat to see. I wish those characters, background music and sets were still on the show today. I noticed the foyer/staircase in the Brooks house was painted solid instead of that ugly 70's mod zig zag wallpaper that was put up in later years that was identical to the paper on the Jefferson's. I also always thought that mod painting at the back of the livingroom was weird.

They need to do a DVD release. Maybe box sets for each decade.

Archived