Y&R 40th Celebration

• Members

I feel that Y&R's 40th celebration is a let down. Short skimpy interviews, lame talk show appearances and very little media/magazine coverage is pitiful.

GH who is celebrating their 50th is getting all kinds of attention with entire magazines and Soapnet marathons dedicated to them.

A lot of the Y&R interviews are with people who have been on the show 5 years or less. I also dislike the lack of Y&R archive footage. Anytime they show anything of Nikki and Victor, it's always their story about him making her over from a stripper. Those 2 characters had storylines before hooking up. The show ignores Nikki's first marriage to Greg Foster (Jill's use to be brother) and Victor's marriage to Julia.

I don't even need to mention the lack of Foster/Brooks references and where is Jerry Douglas in all of this ? He still makes appearances and has been on the show for over 30 years.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think MAB much cared about the past either (if only to re-write it, diminish it and dismiss it). Y&R has been suffering from that condition for a number of years now.

I too would've liked to have seen some characters/actors that were perhaps popular but are forgotten by today's Y&R having segments on the show. I kind of get the feeling that Y&R doesn't want to draw too much attention to its past for fear that people will see what they're missing and what the show used to be.

• Members

I think that the 40th is alright. Could be a HELL of a lot better, but it is alright. The positive behind it all is that CBS as a whole is getting behind the 40th anniversary, so that is a plus. However, story wise, it feels like another day at Y&R, maybe even a sweeps. It doesn't feel like an anniversary type episode.

I (personally) would love for there to be a nod to the Brooks/Prentiss and Foster clans because they played a pivotal role in the first 10 years of Y&R. W/o them, there would be no Victor & Nikki. No Abbotts, etc. They had John McCook there and all they needed was a return from Jamie Lyn Bauer, David Hasselhoff OR William Espy Gray, and Trish Stewart. It's not that hard.

And I'd prefer that the episode was built mainly around Kay & Jill, which is why I wish that Jill Killin' Phelphs, for once would've killed someone (i.e. Tucker), which would've put Kay and Jill back at odds and built the anniversary around them seeing as they built the house that is Y&R. I'm over Victor and all his perils--you've see one, you've seen them all.

• Members

For CBS, they are doing a FAR better job of promoting Y&R on a number of platforms than they've ever promoted any soap anniversary. (Shout out from Prime Time stars, etc.) Plus 40 is different from 50 AND GH was on the verge of cancellation, so the revival combined with the 50th is going to garner extra attention. I'm glad both are getting a lot of mileage from these milestones from the mainstream entertainment media. Poor ATWT barely got any props from its 50th, which I thought was a real shame.

• Members

I think it has more to do with ABC soaps resonating better with younger audience, who are the main consumers of magazines, than CBS soaps. They always have. Also, GH is the "pop culture" soap. The other shows have their breakout moments & characters in pop culture, but not like GH did. I mean it's really not an excuse but I think that's the reason why. So People doing a cover for GH instead of Y&R is reasonable along those lines.

• Members

Well not just a cover--one of their fancy deluxe magazines (and one for AMC.) Is SOD/SID doing anything? (Granted GH is *50* and the ones they did for OLTL and AMC were cuz they thought they were ending--and I don't think the PGP soaps got anything from them.)

I get your point, although I didn't think those fance expensive tribute editions of magazines like People sold much to younger readers at all. With tributes to the Royal Wedding, Michael Jackson (OK, maybe there,) Paul Newman and similar ones from People they always seem to target older.

Archived