Y&R: Michael Fairman interview with Phelps & Griffith

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually always appreciate the candor of these two when they're brought out to talk Y&R. No, JFP is not my favorite person by a long shot - she has a lot to answer for. But she is good at certain things, in certain ways, and she has put on a good show before (GL, admittedly with a lot of help). She has to be utilized carefully, but she is usually a blunderbuss. I suspect eventually that will come to pass here. In the meantime, it's at least a watchable if not great soap opera, which is more than I can say for MAB's show. Though I'm not sure what soap opera it is.

Josh Griffith is not exactly a firebrand, though. I'd bring in someone edgier to work with him if you want to grab people by the throat with Y&R again. I remember when he was once seen as the dark outlaw HW of soaps. That was a long time ago.

As for her friends, she's using the right ones so far (excepting Burton, who I think is pretty vague on the show right now). Robert Adamson is a really talented guy. Kevin Schmidt was a very hot twink and, I felt, the perfect Noah from my limited experience, but if we can't have him, Adamson embodies the role with what is clearly a lot of dedication. At this point I'm just as happy with him.

• Members

I agree. I have a feeling this woman will be the last executive producer of this show. Bill Bell has probably turned over in his grave a zillion times since hearing about the showkiller taking over six months ago. What a tragic situation for one of the best soap operas ever.

• Members

Guess JFP didn't realize (or care) how insulting she was to Bill Bell's son Bradley when she said a head writer can't successfully handle EP duties too. Bill Bell did it on Y&R and B&B for years with monumental success. Brad's done it on B&B for years with great success. Josh may not be able to handle it (with his reported meltdowns), and Jill ruins every show she touches, but there are still some head writers out there that could do both quite well. This woman needs to stop giving interviews. She just keeps shooting herself in the foot. What a shame Y&R celebrates its 40th anniversary with this hack team at the helm.

• Members

Brad has a number of very skilled, longtime soap writers handling duties for him on the writing side. His own work as a headwriter, to me, is shockingly poor. I always think you can tell his work when those hideous, hideous "issue" stories start. Any headwriter who tells viewers that suicide is noble and that Alzheimer's makes you a psycho is not someone I can praise.

• Members

All I know is every time I have ever sporadically tuned into B&B I think it is an intentional parody of soaps. I have to believe those incredible writers are all still working there for the money and location, because I see virtually no evidence, ever, of any stirring or brilliant dialogue or characterization. And I remember Patrick Mulcahey at GH.

• Members

Well one she was OLTL's HW for awhile in addition to the EP so she was saying something about herself as well. And two Brad Bell is not a good HW. Nothing on BB can be labeled riveting storytelling. In fact I'm downright offended by the current story where Katie is basically vilified for not having sex with Bill after all she's been through since having the baby. That story feels like it came straight out of the 50s.

Archived