Couples that survived/were destroyed by recasts

• Members

Ugh, I hated, hated, Jensen Buchanan as Vicky. Whoever came after Anne Heche would have a long way to go, but she was horrible and worse she got way too much airtime. She and Ryan fell flat with her fake cheeriness as Vicky. I always blamed her blandness and lack of talent for JFP firing Paul Michael Valley (Ryan), but it was JFP after all, so I acknowledge that this was unfair on my part.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do think Jensen had some decent chemistry with PMV (although I loved Anne Heche with him - they were just incredible together). I don't think she quite got all the aspects of Vicky, especially the edge, but I put some blame on the writing and the wardrobe people for not realizing how different she was from Anne Heche. Still, I can't see anyone as Vicky but Anne, deep down.

• Members

Lisa Rinna was already on her way out the door, so the return of PR was perfect timing.

I thought Austin Peck & Christie Clarke had great chemistry as Austin & Carrie.

I actually liked Mark Valley and Melissa Reeves as Jack & Jenn even though they never reconciled while those 2 were playing the roles, so that might've changed things.

I thought Martha Madison was pretty bland and asexual, but she made a decent recast. But had she been the original adult version of Belle, I don't think Shawn/Belle would've been a hit.

Did anyone mention Another World's Gary & Josie once Timothy Gibbs and Josie Watts left?

• Members

Ok Cole & Ashley NEVER worked. Shari Shittuck had chemistry with nobody.

Adrienne and Thad were HOT! That anger sex scene was SMOKIN! I liked the progression from the teenage love he shared with Lyndsy Fonseca's Colleen to the more adult relationship he had with Adrianne.

The less said about Eyal Podell and Tammin Sursok, the better.

I think Timothy Gibbs is a gifted, sometimes dark, almost haunting actor. I LOVED his work as Dash Nichols on SB, Gary Sinclair on AW, and especially Kevin Buchanan on OLTL. Yes, he was a different kind of Kevin but his performances were undeniably brilliant, given the material.

Ok, Eplin had chemistry with Wheeler's MARLEY, not so much Vicky. It was Anne Heche that he sizzled with as Vicky. And while I never liked Buchanan's Vicky, I did warm up to her in the end because I :wub: 'd her with Jake.

As for Vicky being one of the best recast characters again in daytime, yeah, no. The ONLY Vickys were Wheeler and especially Heche. Hell, Rhonda Lewin and even Cynthia Watros got Vicky far better than Jensen Buchanan ever did. Buchanan played her as a spoiled brat for the most part, which Vicky never was. She was a tough chick from the streets, a white Drucilla Barber if you will.

With Buchanan, you couldn't distinguish Vicky from Marley most of the time. Hell, if you see her pictured (in captions with Russell Todd), you can't even tell whether she was playing Vicky or Marley. Absolutely dreadful. Vicky was always supposed to be the anti-heroine, the Carly Tenney type. Buchanan played her like Yvonne Perry's Rosanna (in Perry's first run anyway).

AMEN

She was perfect for Marley because Marley is a milquetoast, much like Buchanan. She has the spunk of a worm.

The chemistry she had with PMV was the problem. That wasn't the relationship Ryan & Vicky ever had. Heche's Vicky was a thorn in his side and he got a kick out of making her mad. I loved it. With Buchanan, it was far too lovey dovey. I (and I bet PMV) was actually thankful when Ryan died.

And there's why you enjoyed it. Had you been a prior viewer, I'm sure you'd have felt differently. JB's Vicky & Ryan shared a COMPLETELY different relationship than that of Heche & PMV.

Sorry, but it drives me nuts that people even see Buchanan as a decent recast. She's the second worst recast in the history of soaps IMO, second only to Eileen Davidson's dreadful Kelly Capwell.

And that includes Charity Rahmer. At least Rahmer gave us a few laughs along the way!

• Members

"Spunk of a worm!" LOL! Wow, I think that I have finally encountered someone who disliked Jensen Buchanan's portrayal Vicky as much as I did, She was just so painful to watch after Anne Heche. Ugh. No turmoil or pain that was integral part of Vicky's personality.

The final angry sex scene between J.T. and ALColleen was pretty hot. Of course, it happened at the end of their relationship. It was too bad that AL got fired and LML did not do a "who the daddy" story with J.T., Colleen, and Adrian because that would have kept me watching.

• Members

I think that AL had her share of fans as Colleen. She was popular enough on the soap boards. Her Colleen worked with J.T., but the writing was dire, absolutely dire. She almost a completely different character when LML brought her back onto the canvas and that reliquary story was the worse. It took away from rebuilding her relationship with J.T. properly . Also, there was no reason that she and J.T. should not have survived that affair and gotten back together. Ultimately, most of the mess that followed LF's departure could have been avoided if Jack Smith had just accommodated her and re-signed her to play Colleen.

Archived