Couples that survived/were destroyed by recasts

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Could have survived

Days - For me Austin and Carrie fell apart because they were kept apart too long. While they had short reconciliations, between about 1994 - 1997 they were separated more than not. And when they finally did get together, Mike was in the picture. I can't blame the re-cast on that. I will admit that Patrick and Christie had more chemistry over-all then Austin and Christie, but A&C had sexual chemistry and would have worked if 1) Austin wasn't dumbed down so much, and if he had been on Carrie's side more initially; and 2) They had been given longer periods to be together.

Tanked

Days - Funnily KA and RKK had no chemistry and I was hoping Bo and Billie would stay together because LR and RKK had a ton of chemistry. When PR returned it was all over for LR, he had zero chem with her and I wanted Bo and Hope together.

Sort of Tanked

Y&R - Jack and Jill, while not a couple and slightly off topic, I could never buy that Bergman and Walton's J&J got it on. It was really all Bergman, who played Jack so differently. Lester's Jack led with his C*&^ while Bergman's more with his heart. I know J&J flirted especially around 1998, but I didn't buy it.

• Members

Santa Barbara:

Tanked:

Gina and Keith: Yes, there was a recast Keith. Remember John Novak? Yeah, no. He and Robin Mattson had no spark, and JN's Keith had all the smarm but none of the vulnerability

Kelly and Joe: Once Dane Witherspoon was inexplicably fired for Mark Arnold, it was all over for them.

Kelly and Jeffrey: Kimberly McArthur had no chemistry with Ross Kettle, so no wonder that died. (But KM was bad with everyone, hence her quick exit and Carrington Garland taking over.)

Kelly and Craig Hunt: Okay, not a "couple" per se, but they did hook up. Carrington Garland and John Callahan had a spark. The post-couple/antagonistic scenes with JC and Eileen Davidson's Kelly? Bad. So bad.

Survived:

Mason and Julia Capwell: One Julia (Nancy Lee Grahn), three Masons (Lane Davies, Terry Lester, Gordon Thomson) and NLG managed to spark with all three actors. (The absolute best with LD, no doubt, but many viewers per the mags still loved the pairing with TL and GT.)

• Members

They weren't always romantically involved, but John Loprieno brought out the best in every Tina he ever worked with. His mere presence in scenes with them really helped to ground recasts Witter and Tesreau.

• Members

Typically if a couple is only together a few months, then changing one of the performers is a lot less jarring. I wonder for the couples listed that survived or destroyed if that is the case or if it is just how I roll.

• Members

Survived:

Mason/Julia SB

Aidan/Greenlee AMC (he was great with SS's Greenlee)

Tanked:

Erica/Mike AMC - she was brilliant with Nick Surovy's Mike Roy, but the recast was just horrible. It's telling that when Susan was on Oprah talking about being married to Mike Roy, she refers to Surovy's Roy, even though her character married the recast Mike.

JR/Babe

• Members

Tanked:

Belle & Shawn on DAYS: The recasts to Brandon Beemer and Martha Madison neeeever worked for me, which is weird because I found the couple tiresome under Kirsten and Jason.

Not that many of their couples were good in the first place, but the minute Passions recast Fox and tanked Theresa/Fox, every other couple was plagued with horrible recasts.

Succeeded:

Belle & Phillip on DAYS: Didn't like Kirsten and Kyle together, but once Martha was cast I liked the spark between them. And once Jay came back as Phillip, I really wanted Belle & Phillip to be pursued as a couple.

• Members

Did the show even try with them?

As for Shawn and Belle, I preferred Martha and Jason. Kirsten was just too Disney Channel for me, as she is now on GH.

Often think some recast are done purposely so no chemistry is there to save other pairings (ex. Roman/Marlena/John)

When Justin Hartley left, that ruined Fox/Theresa and Fox/Kay

Friendships often suffer from Recast:

Krista Allen's Billie and Mark Valley's Jack (mostly on Krista's part)

Jennifer/Billie/Kristen

I can't of think of any Rivalries that tanked or succeed due to recast

Archived