Daytime Legends Tribute Thread

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, I never got to see Mary Stuart on Search For Tomorrow, but I knew the instant I saw her as Meta Bauer on Guiding Light that GL was lucky to have snagged her for such a legacy role.

You don't have many people involved with the soap genre nowadays, even the old-timers (looking right at you, Anthony Geary, however much of a legend you might also be), who "get it." Mary Stuart, Charita Bauer, Rose Prinz, they all got it, along with a multitude of other old-time great soap legends.

I'd put Beverlee McKinsey and Christopher Bernau on this list as well, along with Susan Lucci (of course), Erika Slezak, David Canary, Don Stewart, and Susan Flannery.

Douglas Marland as well. I'm not as big a fan as most, but there's no denying his contribution to the daytime genre. If writers like him and Bill Bell and Irna Phillips were still around, none of these hacks nowadays would have jobs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the legacy of Irna Phillips is not restricted to Daytime but Primetime as well. She created Another World. Dallas was based on the Ewings of AW. Dallas sparked the Primetime soaps of the 80s and influenced the prime time soaps from years to come.

Also, wasn't ATWT the inspiration of UK's Coronation Street? Then Peyton Place's format was modeled after Coronation street? If so I believe Irna changed broadcast media across the world as well.

Regardless, I think if all the daytime soaps ended tomorrow and in 10 years from now they are nothing but a distant memory her legacy would still be stronger than ever before.

Archived