GH: People magazine special for the 50th anniversary

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They had a few, albeit not many. I remember in 1996 they said no more GL covers because of low sales, although they still at least had a nice anniversary cover in early 1997. The cover situation is so pathetic now. I miss the old photoshoots. I'd take a camera phone photo from onset over these hodgpodge scribbles.

• Members

Did GL really not have a cover after 1997?

Then again, when did the mash up covers start? It became harder to define by that point who the cover was focused on. I remember them going back to at least 2004, but even then, they weren't as busy and usually had a clear show at the center. I have like every issue from 2004 to like 2007 or so, I should go look at them.

• Members

GL did have some covers after 1997, I think in part due to the show regaining some steam (1996, especially everything from spring on, was a low point in all ways). I remember one or two with Cynthia Watros, and I think there was one or two with multiple actors, and Kim Zimmer had a solo cover in 2008 or early 2009.

The mash up covers started in the early 80s but seriously gained steam in the mid-90s and got more and more prominent. One of the last photo shoots I remember before I stopped buying SOD was Leo/Greenlee wedding, or something along those lines.

• Members

I meant a photo shoot on the cover. That was the last one I remember before I stopped buying. Then by the time I looked again, around 2006 or so, it was all mash-up covers all the time. Sadly even those look better than that chicken scratch now.

• Members

Guiding Light had cover stories in SOD up until the end of 2002. I remember the last time they were ever the sole soap featured was in December 2002 when it was 3 couples: Phillip/Olivia, Michelle/Danny, and Gus/Harley.

In Fall 1997, they had one of Phillip/Harley and Michelle/Jesse on the cover together. In 1998, they had one with Josh/Reva/Annie, another one with Josh/Reva/Reva Clone, then in the fall for sweeps they had a GL one with multiple screenshots featured. 1999 had a couple covers of Michelle/Danny, Reva/Josh/Richard, etc.... In 2000, they started doing those covers where 2 soaps were featured alot, and GL had a couple shared covers with DAYS (usually Richard/Cassie). Richard & Cassie got their own cover shot when they got married in Summer 2000. Then in 2001 there was one of Phillip/Harley/Rick.

I have no idea WHY I remember this random stuff.

• Members

I had no idea!!! Thanks for sharing OP! I bought the commemorative issue of #AMC for my guy's late Mom at the time. She LOVED it. She hid it under her bed in case the nurses wanted it. LOL! Well, not LOL, but she was sassy. Imagine that. ;-) Looking forward to paying People $12 for something they rarely covered/my memories! ;-) But I will...lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually I think that cover looks rather boring

Why put an image of KS by herself with the caption "Young Love"? Is she pleasuring herself?

Sonny and Brenda get "Wild Passion" yet they pick such a static and bland pic. Them kissing on the beach is very memorable and would have embodied that better

Antonio's picture is highly out of place. It doesnt seem to quite fit and sticks out

Archived