DAYS: February 2013 Discussion

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't this the defining calling card for a great deal of soap relationships these days? Todd/Blair, Caleb/Livvie, Carly/Sonny, Alan/Monica, JR/Babe, Kendell/Zach and probably countless others have all had similar pedigrees in terms of that general love/hate relationship and abuse. As long as the characters stay in character and there is a general level of equality in regards to treatment of the characters I don't really have a problem with it.

• Members

I have been up & down with Ej/Sami but i feel the writing this go around has been great for them and have liked the way they have finally come together - until today. One scene, one line, and im done with them again. Sami doesnt feel she deserves EJ's love? EJ has tried to kill her family, has raped her, has blackmailed, tortured, and enjoyed hurting her for years. He has taken her kids from her and used them as weapons. Now, Sami is no saint by any means and has done EJ dirty too, but for her to say she isnt worthy of his love as if he is so much better than her and for him to not correct her or point out they have equally been awful? No. I am done. That was disgusting and how anyone can defend it is beyond me.

• Members

Id say its in character from the outside looking in, absolutely.

I dont think it can be justified by that though, because that kind of depth isnt there. It was done to prop EJ, Sami's main job since his arrival. It was to dismiss what he has done by letting her take blame for his actions by deeming herself as unworthy, as less than he.

• Members

The script writer for Tuesday was Richard Culliton. I must have completely missed when Sami said she was unworthy of EJ's love. When was that?

I liked how the episode tied together all the stories, with Jennifer trying to see to Nick's mental health, the stuff with Daniel and Chloe always in the back of her mind in all her interactions, and Kristen/Brady interacting with Sami/EJ and affecting each other's stories. I'm glad Sami is concerned about what happened with John and Marlena.

Unlike whoever wrote above, I really like the child actor who plays Johnny. Also, I think it is interesting that Johnny was excited that Sami told him he would be seeing more of Rafe. Perhaps he won't like his parents getting back together after all. Another thing, for a kid that they are all saying is sweet and kind, he sure was manipulative getting Rafe to get him another FBI jacket. LOL.

Abigail and Cameron were great too. I was amused when Jennifer was pretending the flowers were for her and when she chastised Abigail for speaking to her like a roommate, not her mother.

I enjoyed Rafe's scenes with Caroline and Gabi too, really showed how he is feeling, as well as Caroline's interaction with Johnny.

Sami and EJ remind me a bit of Carl and Rachel on AW.

• Members

I thought yesterday's episode was good. It had some good moments (and some meh moments) and I liked the flow and everyone interacting. Jennifer actually looked pretty again. And didn't act horrid. That was nice. Thank you Richard Culliton for making Jennifer mildly bearable (for the most part) until the very end. LOL at Jennifer all determined to 'stop Chloe'. Jennifer looks ridiculous in this triangle. But at least she's not being written stupid about Chloe, though Chloe's 'schemes' are quite transparent and lame.

It was nice seeing Abby. I liked her breakfast date with Cameron. I had to lol at Jennifer going on and on about it being "so early" and all "who would be at the door it's not even breakfast time!" lol I know it was meant to sound natural and probably 'real' but I just kinda laughed.

Brady/Sami calling each other out (their expressions when they realized they ran into each other was hilarious and Sami's "I WAS having a good morning" or whatever) and then that nice moment at the end. I enjoyed those scenes and Alison looked pretty. Something about the hair or makeup. IDK.

LOL at Johnny. Oh Mommy did have to do something. Your daddy. A LOT. Your mama was THIRSTY for some EJ. The Rafe and Caroline scenes were nice. Filler, but nice.

I like how in Culliton's scripts characters actually call each other out on their crap and pretty 'real' interactions. It could be all of the good SWs but I feel like I notice it more with him.

Oh ... I can't believe I saved this for last but I LOVED the Jennifer and Nick scenes. The pieces are starting to fall into place for what I'm going to assume will be Nick's comeuppance and downfall. I can't believe Blake can make me like Nick when I should just outright hate the character. I thought the 'flashback' to his prison time was poorly done and cheesy as hell lol

• Members

I don't think this is anything different than the thousands of platitudes they had EJ spout to Sami during most of 2008 and 2009 (mostly to his own discredit). This is just general romantic writing where one character throws themselves under the bus for the other and EJ has done it multiple times before, while idealizing Sami who has her own list of crimes both against him and others.

As to the actual scene in question, I don't think it's out of character for Sami to be overwhelmed by EJ's overall acceptance of who she is. That is probably the one thing she has always wanted and has always been a key motivation for why she does every action in her life. As I have said before there have only been two men in Sami's twenty plus year history who have truly understood her and who still wanted to stick around and be with her. I can understand her being thankful for having someone still love her flaws and all, because the love Sami receives is ultimately conditionally based on her actions and doing what her family deems is the "right" thing for her to do and it always has been. So in that capacity I think that makes sense. I would say the bigger problem here is not EJ's love in particular, but Sami feeling she doesn't deserve love in general because she thinks she is damaged or something is wrong with her, etc. the motivation needs to be fleshed out.

• Administrator

Even though I hate EJ/Sami being together, it sets up my dream storyline for them:

- EJ/Sami get engaged

- During the engagement, she grows closer to Rafe again

- Sami leaves EJ at the alter when she realizes she loves Rafe

- EJ tries to kill Rafe

- EJ "dies"

- EJ returns and kidnaps Sami and makes everyone think she's dead

- EJ brainwashes Sami

- Rafe tries to rescue Sami but is caught

- We see EJ checking up on a mystery woman but we don't see her face

- Rafe watches a brainwashed Sami marry EJ

- Rafe saves Sami but she is injured badly and wakes up with "amnesia"

- We find out it's a faux-Sami (the mystery woman) and EJ still has the real Sami.

It's easy to recognize a Richard Culliton script - there's usually some kind of reference to something, or an analogy. Like when Victor said, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" I immediately said, "This is a Richard Culliton episode." LOL

Archived