Paid Subscrtions on YouTube?!

• Members

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/report-youtube-launch-paid-subscriptions/story?id=18344933

It looks like YouTube is about to take a big step towards monetizing its videos.

YouTube is planning to launch paid subscriptions for a couple dozen channels as soon as April, according to a new report in AdAge citing "multiple people familiar with the plans."

The online video site has reportedly reached out to a "small group" of channels asking them to apply to be among the first paid channels. There is also talk that YouTube might charge for live events like concerts and libraries of older episodes.

AdAge reports that the initial subscription costs would be between $1 and $5 per month. These channels would also have the option to show ads.

Right now, this effort is being billed as an "experiment," but it's one that YouTube reps have been suggesting for a long time. YouTube's CEO Salar Kamangar teased the idea multiple times last year and noted during the Reuters Media and Technology Summit in June that it had "seen demand from from the kind of networks that have smaller audiences on cable."

By effectively launching a-la-cart and pay-per-view options for consuming video content, YouTube would likely bring in more money from ad dollars and a cut of the subscription revenue.

YouTube did not immediately respond to our requests for comment.

2rqzsjd_th.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's a matter of youtube being so demanding on your processors today, as opposed to several years ago.. part of that is adobe flash player's issue. My youtube was hell on wheels.. froze up all the time, stuttered, piece of CRAP. I upgraded my computer from a dual core processor to a quad core and all problems dissapeared. Also, if you got dust crammed in your processor, it will slow your stuff down as well. But I would like to say.... if they can manage to put up old TV shows on a subscription basis, maybe things that have too small a market for a DVD release, I'm all for it!

• Members

This doesnt sound bad. Its very reasonably priced and only for appropriate content.

As for Chrome, it is by far the best web browser. By far. The thing about Chrome tho is you have to keep it up to date because new versions are often released, its still basically in beta but im very impressed with how far its come in such few years. i love how clean and simple it is too.

• Members

I dont see the issue, at least not yet. Its just a few channels that will offer a paid subscription. Its not Youtube as a service will only be viewable now only if you pay. Those channels will most likely be the ones that curently have their content purchaseable via other services like Netflix and Hulu

• Members

yeah, that's what I get from it, too. It is most likely going to remain free, and then companies will have channels containing "premium" content... meaning TV shows, movies, etc... and you can pay for a premium or "gold" membership to watch all that stuff. Sounds like the beginning of us viewers of old stuff maybe being able to see obscure, limited appeal content.

Archived