Unsung

Eric83

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'm reviving this thread because TV One is finally beginning to upload Unsung episodes to their website again.  I've already missed the Sugarhill Gang, Patrice Rushen and Donell Jones episodes.  I don't mind Donell Jones so much and the Sugarhill Gang has been part of hip hop retropectives on VH1 and the like but I know virtually nothing of Patrice Rushen outside of her music.  I'm hoping that the webmaster will at least upload that episode retroactively.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What can you say?  TV One is not an OTA channel, it's on cable, people are paying for their presence on the channel grid, so the people in charge of TV One should be making more of an effort to have an organized broadcast and online presence.  

No way should Bounce TV, which is OTA, be more organized than TV One yet somehow they are!

TV One has two Twitter feeds a Facebook and You Tube page, yet it's virtually impossible to get an organized schedule for upcoming episodes.  And no way to access previously aired episodes that are no longer airing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Last night, I finally got to see the Unsung Hollywood episode for New York Undercover. Great to see all of the core actors interviewed.

Of course there was discussion about the downfall of the show - killing off Michael DeLorenzo's character and adding several new characters in a network-dictated attempt to appeal to more white viewers. Well, speaking as a white viewer, that decision backfired with me because I stopped watching the show early in that 4th (and ultimately final) season, as I didn't like the change in characters and new direction. I don't know why the network execs think I would need to see more white characters to keep me watching. When the series has aired in reruns on cable, I've managed to watch a few more off those Season 4 episodes, but I still haven't seen all of them yet. But I've always enjoyed revisiting those first 3 seasons.

I wish NYU would get a DVD release, but with all of the music involved I'm sure it would be nightmarish to work out all the rights issues/approvals.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

New York Undercover should've lasted longer than it did. It's so strange when network execs decide to tinker with a show's success, jeopardizing the thing that made it appeal to viewers in the first place.

If New York Undercover had existed in today's media landscape the show could've easily migrated to another network, most likely cable or online where executives are more satisfied with more modest ratings numbers.

Still haven't seen the Patrice Rushen episode, so if anyone knows a site, let me know. Eartha Kitt's episode left me feeling kind of sad.

Interesting that Jasmine Guy got her own Unsung Hollywood, practically on the heels of ADW having theirs last season. I started to watch Charlie Murphy's episode but then the Olympics showed an event I really wanted to watch so I abandoned UH.

TV One's website still needs an organized method of archiving their episodes once they stream them. 

• 7 months later...
  • Members

My main beef lately is they always rerun the newer episodes these days. I really want them to air the Disco and Heatwave episodes again. I had them on my DVR until my cable box blew a fuse and I had to have it replaced. They installed the new box in a timely fashion but I ended up losing everything I had recorded. I did manage to re-record most of my favorites when TV One aired a bunch of them over Christmas, but those two were not on the list.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...