Unsung

Eric83

• Members

unsung-logo.jpg

Show that discusses R&B/Hip Hop artists from yesteryear that never got the recognition they deserved (in most cases)

What are some of you guys' favorite episodes?

My favorite is the Marvelettes, I will come back and discuss why when I have more time just wanted to hurry and make the thread lol.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One of my favorites was definitely Sylvester and learning more about him and that was because of the teasers they kept doing for Unsung with using his music.

But I was a little sad to see that he wasn't happy that his back-up singers, who later became The Weather Girls, who got their time to shine eventually.

Tami Terrell's episode was really good and the guy from The Spinners I really liked his. I felt bad finding out how he died.

• Members

I'm so glad that you started this thread, as this is one of my favorite TV shows.

Favorite Unsung episode? I'd have to say the Phyllis Hyman one, though the DeBarge one clocks in at a close second.

Least favorite is the Sly Stone episode - hands down. Granted, the episodes were already becoming watered down by that point, but the way they blatantly skated around the fact that Sly was and is mentally ill was just too much for me.

• Members

Yes, I loved the DeBarge episode. My aunt always used to go on and on about how Time Will Reveal was her and her boyfriend's song back when she was in high school. I love the song "I Like It" and never knew how tragic their story was. Especially the oldest brother and how he eventually died of HIV/AIDS.

The Marvelettes one was so interesting to me. If you asked me who scored Motown's 1st #1 hit on the Pop Chart I would tell you The Supremes. Please Mr. Postman was sucha good song, and it was sad that they usually came in third (behind the Supremes and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas) when it came to girl groups. Even Martha Reeves and co. have memorable hits like "Dancing in the Street" and "Heatwave" but the Marvelettes was just forgotten. Gladys was my favorite member and I loved her vocals on "Too Many Fish in the Sea", song was stuck in my head for weeks after watching the episode, Wanda also sang some classics like "Don't Mess With Bill".Also loved how Katherine kept it so real in her interviews. I felt sorry for the girl who wrote Please Mr. Postman and couldn't join the group because her father wouldn't allow her to, but considering the group's fate maybe it was for the best. I am about to go look up who else they covered because I am sure I had some other faves.

• Members

Love this thread!

My least favorite was Bootsy Collins! Noise making clown!

I loved Sylvester's eppy and Regina Belle. I love that she lived a really good life. You hear so much garbage about how some don't fair very well once the spotlight is over, but she just excelled in other areas. She even overcame a brain tumor.

Tina Marie's was good as well as Angie Bofil.

I think Vesta's eppy really bugged me. She really hated herself because of the weight gain. Some of the things she said during the Unsung interviews were really unsettling. I was uncomfortable watching her. Was shocked to learn she passed not long after that Unsung.

DeBarge - Yes!

Donnie Hathaway's was sad. To this very day, somme of his family members and friends still won't admit he was mentally ill. That was not something you acknowledge in the black community.

Tammy Terrell's was really sad. Very talented young woman who lost her life at 24 years old.

Florence Ballard. Lots of truths told. Not a Diana Ross fan, but it cleared up many thing that were said about her in relation to Ballard that were not true.

Edited by ChitHappens

• Members

I watched a bunch of episodes on YouTube back-to-back-to-back on a Sunday afternoon about a year and a half ago, and I absolutely loved them. My faves were Tammi Terrell, Shalamar, Evelyn Champagne King, Deniece Williams, Rose Royce, Heatwave, and Sylvester.

ECK, if I remember right, went through some bad things, but she was such a vibrant, fun personality all throughout the episode, still can sing well, and she even performs with her husband. Definitely a happy ending.

The Rose Royce episode was SO sad, and nobody died. It was just all about how the guys all got together first, then their label put Gwen Dickey in as the "face" of the group, and the guys all resented her and treated her like sh!t because they were jealous. She left the group and, even though she's proud of the work she did with them, she's basically chosen to rise above them and not have anything to do with them anymore.

The Shalamar ep bugged me a bit. They all acknowledged that they were pretty young and stupid with their money and fame, but it seemed like they still stood by some of their stupidity, especially Howard Hewitt. And that sucka said he hated disco!

And Tammi Terrell...just tragic sad.png

I NEED to see the Millie episode. That's my girl! And they need to make a Betty Wright episode.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Didn't they do an episode on Ray Parker, Jr.? I seem to recall him talking about how Leo Sayer took songwriting credit for "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" even though Ray actually wrote it. (Of course, given what happened later regarding the "Ghostbusters" theme, perhaps Ray isn't being completely honest?) Knowing that upsets me, if only b/c Richard Perry, who produced "Dancing" along with the rest of Sayer's album, Endless Flight, happens to be my all-time fave music producer.