Gross & Perverted Soap Opera Moments

• Members

IA, katie. My issue is not with his reasons for abandoning the role, but rather, in the process of explaining why he chose to leave, he made a comment that made it so easy for detractors and overly sensitive people to pick him apart.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, that the wayhe explained it did him no favours. I suspect he meant nothing by it--as others said it was an awful story--I do take offence when actors have trouble kissing someone of the same sex, or whatever, and yet don't complain about graphic sex scenes with the opposite sex or playing a rapist or a murderer...

• Members

I feel for Engen, the character was thrown under the bus, made to do a lot more controversial things, and maybe he'd just had enough.

I don't know if he's a homophobe, I've never met the guy, I would hope he isn't, but I would no sooner accuse someone of that than I would accuse someone of being a racist without real, solid proof. Racism/homophobia accusations can ruin people's lives. Let's step back and get some solid tangible proof before slinging that particular brand of mud.

And it was a truly disgusting development on top of a truly disgusting story. NOT because Adam was trying to seduce a man, because he tried to seduce ANYONE to cover up what he'd already done.

• Members

Obviously, Glenn Close and Anthony Hopkins didn't feel that way.

Does that mean NO ONE feels that boiling rabbits alive or eating people is stepping over a line? Absolutely not.

I just don't think Chris Engen should be judged for being uncomfortable when a character who has shown no signs of bisexuality before is all of a sudden seducing someone of the same sex to cover up what he's been up to. Now, if he'd been told beforehand that the character was either definitely bi or gay, that's another story. That's his choice, to take a possible story on and he can't cry foul if the writers decide to go the bi/gay way.

But I doubt the writers thought that far ahead and I will happily say that I'm wrong if I'm proven wrong.

And I dare anyone to show me a gay actor who would be villified for refusing to kiss a person of the opposite sex. I DARE YOU.

It's a double standard.

Now, I would love to hear that all hetero actors have no problems with playing gay/bi characters and all gay actors have no problem playing straight/bi characters. It'd be great. More jobs for everyone!

But choose between the two and the straight actor will be villified first and most harshly each time.

Let's not kid ourselves.

That Kay actor from Passions, sure she got her fair share of LOLS when she quit because Kay was doing some stuff that the actress felt wasn't right. But if Kay was supposed to kiss Simone, she'd never work again. THAT is unfair. I don't care how ugly it sounds, but projected homophobia is WRONG and DANGEROUS, just as projected RACISM is.

• Members

This is always conveniently left out.

If he went around spouting hate or stating how wrong homosexuality is, I could understand the fuss. But this guy walks away from a rotgut story and he has to defend speculation?

Even if Chris quit because he didn't want to kiss a man, does this make him a homophobe? No, it doesn't. It makes him someone who is not comfortable kissing a man. Yes he's an actor, but I'm sure many have walked away from roles for this very reason. Doesn't make them less of an actor.

Chris got a raw deal in this mess, and it's a shame he took more heat than YR. But then again, they didn't have time to speak on it as all of their energy was being spent trying to turn a psychopath into a longterm character that ate the show whole!

Archived