The Cher Thread

YRBB

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So, after listening to Cher's recording of ABBA songs I have to say it was a mixed experience. She did good on some of the songs, Mamma Mia; S.O.S; Fernando; Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. Her version of Dancing Queen was ok. The Name of the Game and Waterloo was so-so, and frankly this recording made me realize that Waterloo is actually one of ABBA's weaker songs.

However, her versions of Chiquitita, The Winner Takes It All and especially One Of Us were bad. They did not fit her vocal range at all and her voice sounded strained. The arrangement on One Of Us was, in my opinion, horrible. It was by far the worst song on the album.

Personally I think she chose some wrong songs to cover. I think she would have fared better with songs like Knowing Me, Knowing You; Voulez-Vous; Lay All Your Love on Me or maybe Eagle.

Or why not some of ABBA's more obscure songs like The King Has Lost His Crown; The Piper or I Wonder. Songs that probably would have fit her voice better.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I think Cher said that songs like One of Us were hard for her because she wasn't expecting ABBA to have such complex songs. To me that means she never quite connected to ABBA, as she herself said she wasn't exactly a fan when they were popular. 

I wish she'd done a few lesser known numbers like Thank You For the Music or Put On Your White Sombrero (although someone probably would have said she was culturally appropriating...). 

• Members

There are so many ABBA songs that she could have done which would have suited her better than many of those she chose to do. I think it's great that she's done this album, but it feels a bit like a lost opportunity to have done something even better considering all the wonderful material at her disposal.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...