GH, GL, ATWT, SB- Brand NEW INTERVIEW with BRIDGET DOBSON!!!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What behavior?? I dont see Toups or Errol banning me....I am barely even here posting like I used to....I dont know who pee on your cornflakes. We were never friends. You dont treat friends like you treated me. It's not like I need your crappy ass friendship anyways. And what SB threads have you had the last 2 months..I dont recall any...at all....I supported you in the whole bring back Brenda Epperson thread and the Mark Collier thread...yeah I am evil...erractic and revolting..whatever makes you happy. I am done with you and your bitchy behavior.

• Members

You know something? I'm just going to RE-POST this scene.

This is from 1991 (or 92 possibly). The Dobsons were back as Head Writers. If you're a long-time soap fan who's truly interested in the history of soaps, your challenge is to find out for me what script writer wrote this.

If you're one of the OTHERS in this thread, or admit to not having watched 'Santa Barbara' yourselves (regularly, at all, or not during this period), my challenge to you is to WATCH this 4 minute clip (that I've already posted) of the show and tell me it doesn't make you FEEL something. Happy. Sad. Conflicted. Empathy. Sympathy. dejavous. Whatever emotion it is, it counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31o11RMb1nY

Your challenge is to watch this scene and tell me that the only emotion you feel is indifference. Have the guts to come on here and say that you actually watched, paid attention to, and listened to the words of that scene and tell me (and the entire SON community) that you felt nothing but indifferent to the show, the writing, the production, the characters, and the actors.

• Members

It's a nice scene. The bond between the actors shows through most of all.

People will find a show on their own, if they so wish. That's how I found Santa Barbara, many years ago, and again a few years ago. We have no real control over that choice, beyond a polite recommendation.

• Members

"Well.......A wise old soul once told me that when things keep coming up again and again in your life...........it's usually because you have to learn.......that you....that you can....react differently......that you have a choice..."

"What choice do I have?"

"You could......You could choose to release your expectations of what your life is supposed to look like and just accept if for what it is........For better or worse, so to speak.......You have this...this u ncompromising need to be right and....and I admire that in you, but it doesn't always serve you well. You know you.......You could choose to be happy instead.......and forgive Mason for not being everything you want him to be, you could acknowledge that he loves you.........You know, because he does love you and it may not always be in the form that you wish but in content it's it's......obviously it's.......true and deep.......it's as good as it gets....you know?"

"I love you."

"I'm so glad..........My friend."

That is what's missing in soaps today. We don't get writing or scenes that are anything close to that. Writing that doesn't pander to us, that isn't aimed at the lowest common denominator. Writing that you either get or you don't and if you don't, then you probably shouldn't be watching this soap or that soap anyway. Turn on Rachel Ray, The Talk, or Let's Make a Deal if it's mindless drivel you're looking for.

We soap fans are looking for a world that we can escape to that we care just as much about (or almost as much about) as we do our real lives. Is there any soap (with the exception of DAYS, which in spite of all the changes over the years, has NEVER lost its heart IMO) on the air that any of us even care enough to do that with now?

• Members

I'm actually not trying to gain any new viewers for the show, merely just showing an example of how exemplary and complex and deep and powerful the writing was when the Dobsons were in charge. Whether it was 1987 or 1991 & 92, behind all the laughter and the dark humor and the psychoses of 'Santa Barbara,' they were trying to say something, to get a message across about the world. And I think they did it beautifully. 'Santa Barbara' from 1985-1990 and again when the Dobsons wrote it in 91 (and briefly in 92) was a piece of television art that we won't get the chance to see again, nor will we experience anything that's even similar enough to compare.

For better or worse, 'Santa Barbara' is what it is and what it is uncompromising.

You either love it or you hate, you either get it or you don't. There is no in between and it doesn't surprise me one bit that there are people out there who hate it and don't get it.

I just don't happen to be one of them. smile.png

• Members

The Dobsons were overrated, crazy too. Yes, on Santa Barbara they broke some rules and had a good eye for some of the quality actors and the chemistry. But they were unable to work successfully within the daytime format to create a healthy long story that would sustain the show. They were buoyed by some talented and desperate script and breakdown writers who took dramatic license to fill in the huge gaps in credibility or longterm story.

• Members

I loved Santa Barbara up until 1987. I kept watching on and off, but it was never the same with all the recasts, characters coming and going all the time and the unneeded madness. I understood that the Dobsons loved their characters and treated them like characters of a novel. They adored Mason Capwell and I will always love them for that. When they returned in the early 90s I knew it before watching the closing credits. I love what I have seen from their GL and ATWT. Sometimes they were a little too creative on SB and they had way too many great ideas at the same time, but after watching years of boring and uncreative soap I can't hold it against them. DAYS could use Bridget Dobson right now.

Archived