Legacy characters who were killed off...

• Members

Yea she could have just left town then and came back for visits like David Vickers, but I guess soaps really wasn't doing that then. But if they could recast Dorian and Tina successfully, they could have done the same with Megan. But now that I think about OLTL didn't do too much re-casting of important characters.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though this character was a bit before my time, I'd say Sally Frame (AW). Why the adoptive daughter of Steve and Alice was killed boggles my mind. IMO, she should've been a character on the show for the long haul, driving story alongside Vicky in the later years.

Coop on GL. A great re-introduction for Phillip; however, I thought it was stupid. Coop should've left town instead of trying to stop sleazy Beth from marrying Alan.

• Members

Oh, I definitely agree. Laura's death was crushing, but the resulting story and long term impact on Brooke and Tom was worth it.

I will never forget sobbing when Cassie died, but like you said it was done for the right reason and to this day it is the most important Newman death. Sharon and Nick have never been the same.

Bryant's death, to this day, makes me furious. I loved Hogan's tenure at ATWT, but Bryant's death is indefensible. To so casually kill off Craig and Sierra's son, Lucinda's grandson...

I have long decided to ignore Colleen and Brad's deaths because they were so stupid for words. As far as I am concerned, Colleen is married to J.T. have a bunch of kids and are living in NY near Traci, while Brad is running a corporation in Europe.

• Members

This touches upon something I was going to bring up. I think there's a difference between a. "shocking!" stunts that feel cheap and ultimately have little to no dramatic payoff, and b. the sad reality that sometimes death takes the unexpected. Would I have loved for Laura to see adulthood? Well of course, as I would for any child, real or fictional. But children are tragically taken from us at times and AMC dramatized this beautifully.

• Members

I was okay with Brad dying, partly because of how ruined and irrelevant the character had become and partly because it resulted in Diamont getting a much better role on B&B.

Colleen's death OTOH was completely unnecessary, unbelievable and an obvious act of spite on MAB's part.

• Members

ITA and everyone seems to have different opinions for who should be claimed as legacy characters. One minute it's everyone born on the show, the enxt it's the children of vets unless the children are characters born to vets they don't care about,etc.

There have been alot of pointless deaths in recent years and most didn't even garner any shock value ratings.

• Members

I cried and cried over Cassie's death but in the long run it was very good storytelling. SOD named it the best story of 2005. It her death kind of changed the landscape of Y&R. Michael Graziadei mentioned her death in his goodbye Y&R interview with MSN and how it was his first big story.

• Members

For some odd reason, I was not spoilt and was completely shocked when Cassie actually died. I have never even liked her, but I cried like crazy. I completely agree that the impact of her death was profound and remains so even after all these years later. I always thought that Sharon and Nick would eventually overcome her death and reunite, instead they have both gone to hell.

Archived