The Plan to Save Days 2013

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me, the story working right now is Brady/Kristen/Marlena/John. It manages to not exist in a vacuum TOO much (Hope, Jen, EJ, Chad, Victor, Abe, etc. have all weighed in somewhat) but now it needs to explode. Gabi's story is NOT working because there are no stakes. I lived for the episodes where you FINALLY thought something would come out, but here we can see the set-ups as soon as they begin. How many times have Gabi/Nick spun that stupid "we had sex too early!" story for anyone to care anymore? There are great hints at what Days should be doing right now. They can't tell 90s stories, but they CAN do campy/psychological stuff. One of my favorite recent examples was Vivian in a sarcophagus/Vivian trying to kill Melanie. I thought those stories played on history extremely well, utilized the cast, was fun/over the top but also dug into Brady's psyche. Then it petered out after Vivian was arrested, sadly.

I think that almost all the characters can work. Nick I would like to be made into a full villain, shades of a Roger Thorpe kind of character. a bad Horton would be fun. Sami needs to pick a man and find something else to do. This working mother thing is boring, because she barely works. It's sad that one of my favorite characters has been resorted to walking around town from man to man. Where's the scheming? Where's the fighting?

Scheming is another thing. Everyone on Days right now is boring. Kristen is the ONLY villainess and Days was very well known for its villains. Everyone's been neutered and mixed into society. Fine, so bring in new villains. Why was Ian dispatched? Why was Andrew gotten rid of? Why couldn't T become really anti-Sonny and become a Jan Spears? There's just no urgency in the show anymore, which I think when posters mention making it more like GH -- which I guess is improved over its prior mess, but still has a ton of faults -- GH is at least fun for me to watch when I do tune in. The excitement I've gotten in this week's Kristen scenes should be in EVERY scene.

• Members

The budget dictates a great deal as do the owners and sponsor. I just rewatched the first Doug Marland Xmas 1985 episode and those were the days of not only great sets/decorating and casting, but the vision of one headwriter who didn't have to think about how few sets and how few actors to feature each week and how to write so far in advance. DOOL is on a shoe string budget and needs to cut all fat. We don't need to see Roman, Kate and Abe. They can pop up once a year. They need to focus on 15 to 20 totally watchable characters and give them meaty story and good dialog. Tomlin has done some good things but it's slow as molasses. Casting newbies generally sucks. The homophobe character of T is so much more interesting on the screen than Sonny. The actors playing Chad, Nick, Abby and Gabi all pretty much suck. Remember when Beth Ehlers appeared as Harley, or Gina Tognoni on OLTL. There are dynamic actresses and actors out there who will light up the screen. But they aren't on DOOL. They need a smaller writing staff who can give the show depth and heart and balls! And for god sake, hire some fierce young lighting/set folks to change it up. The hair/costumes are still horrid. Drag queens do glamor better on any given Saturday night. It's just not an appealing show to watch.

• Members

If Ken truly loved DAYS, then he should step down as show runner. If we look at all the regime changes this show has witnessed for the last several years, the quality hasn't really changed all that much... the only constant being Mr. Corday himself. He should do what Bill Ford Jr did back in 2006 (which was step down as CEO of Ford Motors and handing control to someone who knew what they were doing).

Until that happens, the show will never seem to improve (and we cant really use the Sony/NBC interference since Corday owns the majority of the show).

• Members

Ironically, though, Ken Corday isn't technically the show runner. That distinction belongs (as of right now) to Lisa deCazotte. But even she has to answer to Corday, who is not the most ideal Senior EP, from some accounts.

• Members

Absolutely '80s DAYS had tons of action and a lot of heart! It was romantic and hearfelt. It was adventurous and exciting. There was danger, mischief, manipulation, scheming, and so much more. DAYS had the families, the Hortons, Bradys, Johnsons, Deveraux, Kiriakises and so many more. The interaction amongst characters were terrific. Everyone was interavting with one another. The sets were great with places like Blondie's, Shenanigan's Brady Fish Market, Salem Inn, The Spectator, Salem Polive Department, Horton House and so many more.

But characters and storylines are very much isolated.

For example: When Jack died, why weren't there more scenes of Adrienne talking to Jennifer and both griefing over their loss. Adrienne should be interacting with Abby more and really having meaningful talks. Same with Kayla and Steve's marriage now splitsville, shouldn't Adrienne be sharing scenes with Kayla to talk about their broken marriage. These characters were so much closer in the past and interacted more. They talked and helped with eeach other's problems. But it felt real, genuine and as if they were reallyy related. There is no community feel. Why isn't Abe interacting with John and Marlena especially with Kristen back in town, considering Abe is supposed to be John's good friend. I haven't seen any real interaction between Marlena and Maggie either considering they were best friends in the past. The show just lacks so many interactions that are good connections to each other.

I want DAYS to get back to its roots! And really get back to great storytelling for couples like they used to. Families were involved with the couples and the couples had great adventures filled with danger, romance and love. There is no build up to anything. Where is the longing for each other, the star-crossed lover stares and stolen looks or kisses, the sneaking to meet up and be with each to avoid the villain/vixen trying to keep them apart or avoiding hurting someone else's feeling? Where is the bickering and sparring for each other's feelings as they try to get the other to confess their undeniable real feelings for one another or the other? I just feel Tomsell don't know how to do that, they couldn't do it on their first run and ONCE AGAIN are still missing the mark, BIG TIME! DAYS is VERY BORING! It's sad because DAYS is my favorite soap and I want it to achieve and kick butt with good consistent rising ratings!

Archived