The Plan to Save Days 2013

• Members

We know there's going to be a Ken Corday "Plan to Save Days!" announcement coming up soon enough, but I wanted to pose the question here -- following the Marland way of not cutting characters for six months at least, how could Days be invigorated using its current storylines? Does it need to get back to its 90s kind of storytelling? Become more realistic and atmospheric a la Y&R? Focus on a small cast like B&B? Or embrace zaniness like GH?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

I skimmed the board and thought I saw a thread with this name and thought I was hallucinating. Then I found it again, lol. Yes, we know the plan to save DAYS is coming. I expect one no later than March though as that's make or break time for the show.

As for what it can do to save itself, I think it's finally building up its storylines to the point that it'll culminate in some juicy storytelling which will help the ratings rise. I don't think there's anything they can do beyond what they're doing now that'll get them the renewal they need.

• Members

Here is my list of what Days could do to save itself (in the event it gets picked up for another year).

1) Stop filming so far in advance. I know this procedure is suppose to save money, but if the viewers hate a story/couple, it will take at least three months or longer before the changes appear on screen.. thus viewers will tune out of impatience.

2) Stop with the jarring changes: When the show does listen to viewers, instead of resolving/changing a bad story in a way that makes sense, they just drop it (i.e. Carrie declaring she loves Rafe, then the next day trying to get back together with Austin, Abby obsessing over Austin then the next day totally not thinking about, etc).

3) Balance is key.

• Members

From a storytelling standpoint, I appreciate the fact that DAYS has gone back to basics. However, DAYS still has huge issues in regards to utilizing their entire cast properly and playing each beat of a given story effectively. DAYS needs to stop running from what looks like will be great story and just go there. We don't need another reboot or exodus. We just need to see what is there being written and produced to full potential.

• Members

Because TPTB have come to believe that if we complain, that means we're engaged with the story. "We're only doing something wrong," they say, "when the viewers say nothing at all." But is that true? I think not.

Furthermore, they insist that if we just hang in there, "you'll love what's coming down the road, we promise!" However, the truth is that we hardly ever do. Chances are, if a given story starts out awful, it's likely to stay that way.

• Members

Well they can't tell stories like they did in the 90s because they don't have the budget to do an over-the-top story. Like Khan suggested, DAYS need to tell simplistic stories a la DAYS 1970s. Go back to the family drama, and build from there. And I love Doug Marland, but many of his ten rules can't be applied to current Days. A lot of characters need to go, and fast.

But a Marland rule they need to follow is listening to fan reaction, and let's be honest, majority of the people that I know watch the show hates the Dannifer pairing. This needs to be the first thing scrapped, and they need to get on their knees and beg Matt Ashford back, or get rid of Jennifer.

Another thing they need to do is build their next generation (Y&R take note too) because none of these characters, not even Will, could keep me watching when they become leads. Bring back characters the audience already cares for (with good story): Chelsea, Stephanie, Nathan, Max (not humping his nieces this time. . .), Belle, Shawn, Mimi, and Phillip. Cast Andrew or Jeannie Donovan. Heck, make Jeannie the new younger villainess/schemer that rivals Abby-- a redux of Jennifer and Eve, but with Jen' s daughter and Eve' s sister and Sami' s cousin.

Use freaking popular stories from the show' s long history, and put a modern spin on it. History does tend to repeat itself.

Bring back Mike, Bill, Laura, and Marie for heaven sakes! The Horton clan needs to be front and center!

• Members

At the time that Days were doing the over the top stories, I enjoyed them.. but looking back, I think 90's DAYS is more dated then 80's DAYS for some strange reason.

I agree that fan reaction should be taken into account. When you have the majority of viewers hating the Dan/Jennifer coupling then it is time to cut their losses. MAR did break them up, but the moment that the regime changed back to the previous one, I knew that Dan/Jennifer would be resurrected. If the coupling didn't work the first time, why attempt it a second time? Usually, the make up/break up mantra is reserved for popular couples... and even that wears thin after awhile... so why apply that toward a couple that isnt popular?

As I typed in a previous post, it takes three months or longer for the changes to appear on screen... so I think they need to ditch filming so far in advance. From what I understand, Irna Phillips hated filming so far in advance... and I'm sure one of the reasons was to correct things that weren't working as fast as possible. It is as if the show is being filmed in China and we are waiting for the filmed product to be shipped over via boat :)

Lastly, soaps dont seem to have long term fall-out anymore. There are exceptions to that (i.e. Nicole/Sami's feud, Nicole being the pariah) but for the most part, once a bombshell is dropped, usually it is quickly forgotten and the characters go back to point A instead of advancing to point B. Bold and the Beautiful is a big offender, in this respect.

• Members

Eileen is working Kristen with nothing from the writers. Her dialogue and story could be given to any diva/villainess. There is no character development and no motivation as we don't even know what she is up to nor how she feels about Brady. This is happening a lot.

Gabi should be a broken young girl who wants a man to love her and accepts love from any man, blind to his behaviour. The writing hints at it, but we have again no character development. Will should be calling Gabi out more on her behaviour and getting more frustrated with Nick. Sonny should be getting more worried about Will and pushing him to tell him what's going on. They have some good stuff but just need more depth. The day to day breakdown is a big problem, the pacing needs major work.

That is the big problem. To me it seems as if they are taking things one day at a time with a very vague idea of where they are going so pacing and breakdown is lost or hard to do because they don't seem to have a clear idea of where they are going, just a general direction. I would feel better if they developed characters more and used the potential of the good actors they have. I really like Casey as Chad, but he has so little to do. Greg Vaughn is amazing, but we have no insight into Eric. He might as well be the recurring town priest. What is his story?

Days could easily be doing the darker, more psychological stories of the 70's, with this cast and the richness of some of the more established characters. They are wasting potential. It is enjoyable enough, but not must see.

• Members

I think there is a question of something being pushed because of the idea of big conflict, instead of actually creating the basis for this conflict. For instance, the Gabi pregnancy is supposed to cause conflict for Will/Sonny. But since I don't buy that relationship in the first place, i won't buy the conflict.

Archived