Retcons and Rewrites

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How? By saying Holly lied this whole time about messing with Luke? That Luke was a complete idiot into thinking Ethan could be his son when they never had sex. I dont see the point at this stage in the game. Does nothing but just make the parties involve look incredibly stupid (and in Holly's case, still terrible). The only purpose I could see is trying to preserve Luke and Laura as this infalliable couple but they are already tarnished with or without Luke cheating with Holly

I'll add another. Y&R: Jill is not Katherine's daughter. I know people hated the original rewrite, but this was a perfect example of just going with the flow bc things were forever changed. Retconning the retcon was an awful mess which made things even worse, especially with what it did with Liz. MAB proved that she could really screw things up. The Kat/Jill dynamic was forever changed when they had them related and undoing that wasnt going to fix things. They should have just left it alone

OLTL: Todd (TSJ) is actually a brainwashed twin while the original was tucked away for EIGHT years. That storyline seriously made an IDIOT out of everyone who had crossed paths with the character before and after the switch and the explanation was one of the most bizarre, over the top and assinine retcon in soap history. People want to talk about bad fanfic. The episodes surrounding that reveal were just that. And it brings me to another one

Irene Manning didnt die of cancer. Instead she became some renegade CIA mastermind whom faked her death and abandoned her children. NO words for that

• Members

The few that immediately come to mind...

The entire existence of that Spam-eating trailer trash, Natalie, as a child of Viki's while kickstarting the continuous throwing of Jessica under the bus by making her the spawn of Mitch Laurence* on OLTL.

Making T. Marshall Travers out to be rapist scum instead of the sex-on-a-stick that he truly was to Jessica on ATWT because TPTB would rather tether her to the most milquetoast Negro on that show than to showcase a truly scorching Black couple.

Killing off Stuart and making Adam out to be his killer on AMC (a.k.a.: what finally drove me away from the show after sitting through many indignities until the last few months of the show when they brought him back to life).

Proclaiming that Felicia was a deadbeat mother on GH even though everybody and their mother who watched this show throughout her tenure saw otherwise.

*Yes, I'm well aware that Ron reversed her parentage at the end, but years of shiteous writing to prop that red-headed heifer truly did a number on a character that I once loved.

• Members

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cheap21" data-cid="1161863" data-time="1356837228"><p>

and I raise you an Alamainia! John and Hope secretely married all these years was just a big WTF all around which gave us one of the worst stories of the year</p></blockquote>It still hasn't been resolved.

• Members

I didn't mind that - at least there was a plausible gap in Lisa's history (when she was in Lake Forest in A Private World or whatever) during the 60s. The execution. Not so much. The character had so much potential.

The worst, among many, was the "my beautiful baby boy" - Carly and the evil stepmother we never knew about. And, finding out that Gwen was her sister. Yuk!

Now Molly and Carly being "cuz" - actually worked beautifully.

Also, Sabrina being Bob and Kim's daughter, after they had been told she died on the show. That worked because of the wonderful JM and it was tied to history. (Plus, it was great because John was involved and his obsession with Kim back in 70s.)

Archived