Paul Rauch has passed away

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what it felt like to watch. Some brief bits--like Labine's stuff (while it didn't work on OLTL it was a change), etc, stands out, but even Malone, once Griffith left as his co-HW and the Vicki DID story ended, ended that great term of his in a muddled mess. Really, the show just always felt kinda like that to me during that era.

• Members

The show fell apart after Eterna (I still think it was at its best with him and Peggy O'Shea at the helm, but once Schnessel left (or did he pass away?) it really bottomed out, despite some half hearted attempts by him to re-introduce social storylines.

I've seen some of his expensive looking Russian period serialized series on youtube, and would love to see more, actually.

Like Carl said, I always thought he'd just be around. RIP, I admit this has me a bit worried that we haven't heard from Agnes Nixon in a while... Since the Spring when she mentioned writing a book...

• Members

It was basically autopilot in that period. Coasting off Gottlieb and Malone's fumes.

Rauch is a very influential legend in the industry, that much can't be denied. And his work in the '70s was by all accounts incredible. Condolences to his loved ones.

• Members

This is the Russian soap (more like a telenovela) he was a producer on ten years back, rather inexplicably (did they seek him out because of his past work being popular there? It is true he wanted Texas to be a period piece so maybe always wanted to be involved in a period soap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMdNMjTJo4

• Members

Eterna was great, and a soap should be so lucky to have such a story today with a beginning, middle, and end. Villains, danger, an emotional crisis at center of it, it was solid storytelling with a movie serial/sci-fi skin. Same thing for the old west story. It was sci-fi meets western true, but it was solid story all the way through.

• Members

RIP, Paul Rauch and condolences to his family.

I didn't always ascribe to his vision or get some of his choices (including in the lighting department), but he had serial drama in his blood, lived and breathed it. More than that he had balls, was fiercely intelligent and cultivated and it showed. I admire him for that, greatly.

• Members

I was born in 1970 (December) and grew up watching the NBC shows my grandmother "made me watch" and Another World was her favorite and I watched it. This man did magic with that show in the late-1970's.

I later made the smart moove to leave NBC shows in 1987 but I have fond memories of the late-1970's stuff even though I am barely 40.

• Members

His work on AW really was one of the first times a producer seemed to really emphasize acting (not that there wasn't brilliant acting before, but I never got the sense an exec worried about it as much). Of course Lemay was (I think) already in place, and had a theatre background, so that played a part, but Rauch went out of his way to hire theatre actors, creating, as many said, little miniature plays each day. Yes, this meant that sometimes he seemed to pick on actors who he didn't think were strong enough, sometimes unfairly IMHO, but.

• Members

Gloria Monty often gets credited as the first powerhouse/authoritarian super-producer of daytime television, but I think that belongs to Rauch. He seemed to be the first daytime producer that was really involved and instrumental in daytime moving away from being a writer's medium to a producer's medium (which obviously had some dangerous consequences).

Archived