All soaps: Bisexual characters, etc?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know, it really is and thats a shame. I am bisexual, but i usually just say gay because its easier than explaining bisexual really isnt a stop on the train to gayville.

But i really wouldnt mind it on a soap because i think its such a good storyline. and better than the traditional straight girl kisses a girl during sweeps for ratings and is then a bisexual story too.

as mentioned earlier, his the scene on make it or break it where max reaveals his bisexuality to his friend, after a drunken kiss. sad it never got followed up.

• Members

I'm sure Chandler Massey's a great guy - the acting, no comment.

Will - he's more a victim of overhype than anything else. There are worse people on DAYS. They just don't get as much comment because everyone knows they're useless; it's like condemning pocket lint.

• Members

Bisexuality makes more sense for a soap, since people who are on a show for many years run out of partners. No soap has the courage to make the effort. It's all just a waste.

If he didn't make me so nauseous I would say Billy on Y&R would have been right for that story.

I would also say JT, on Y&R.

• Members

It was clear Chuck Pratt thought he had the ultimate bisexual character in Reese on AMC as played by Tamara Braun. He said as much in interviews; Bianca and their marriage was just an entry point for wild Reese to cat around with Zach, his hero, and anyone else that titillated Pratt.

• Members

He said in the press that he would've enabled Reese to romance anyone due to her bi status.

So in a way, disgusting as it is, he's...more progressive than Ryan Murphy.

Which, as nip/tuck proved, is not as difficult as it sounds. Every time Murphy came back to look in on that show he'd ruin it again to alleviate his boredom for three minutes.

• Members

Yup. The baby story with gays is done so often because todays soap rely on stories like that, and they cant do a triangle without bringing in yet another gay character. Making one bisexuality adds tons of stories, but i guess its seen as too risky for them.

And yes to Billy. He would absolutely be an equal opp fellow. I did love that Y&R had Adam sleep with Rafe as a part of his con, just sad it was sept under the rug basically.

Itsa quite sad too because Reese/Bianca were a great couple and even with that sad if the story was done right it could have been good. Like, I would have prefered that Reese was a con woman who played Bianca until she set her sights on her new con, Zach, but along the way developed real feelings for both. Of course I also would have just prefered Braun stayed on Days was the delicious Ava too though.

I am always annoyed when people say Kevin Smith did this in Chasing Amy when it is the exact opposite.

• Members

The thing is that in theory, the Reese character and all of that could have worked. It was ballsy storytelling - Bianca comes back prepared to marry a newly-minted dyke who she is raising Zach's baby with. But this woman isn't quite as committed as she seems. On paper that is actually very soapy story.

It's how Pratt executed it, after years of Bianca suffering heartbreak and indignity, and how it played out that made it fail IMO. The concept was dangerous, but tempting to me.

• Members

I heard Bianca was going to [!@#$%^&*] Ryan in revenge on the Slaters.

As offended as that might have made some people I could've gotten with that, actually. It's not a rape by Michael Cambias, and it is a proactive, soapy move. And GLBT people do those stupid things as easily as anyone. And ER and CM always had a weird chemistry. The problem is the story had already so callously dashed all Bianca's story, favoring only the proposed future for Zach and Reese, Pratt's would-be leads. Had they executed things differently - with a writer who truly loved Bianca - they could've had a very dangerous but very potent story.

• Members

Fictional bisexual characters are a tough sell given the overwhelming amount of real-life ignoramuses who will discount them. Female bisexuals are "just girls being girls, messing around", and male bisexuals are, "just gay guys who haven't fully embraced that they're gay yet". Bull.

Any "straight" girl or "gay" guy who will readily and willfully spend an evening intimately and up close in the face of Madame Vag is at least a 5 on the Kinsey scale, I don't care WHAT the world says.

• Members

What if it its once. Honestly. I mean, what if a heterosexual or either gender falls for someone of the same sex. One person only. no attraction or intrest in their same sex outsite of this one person. Or, if a homosexual falls for one person of the opposite sex. does this make them bisexual, despite the lack of attraction to and intrest in both sexes outside of a one specific person?

Archived