All soaps: Bisexual characters, etc?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do rememeber reading backing 2002/2003, when Rex first appeared on OLTL, there was the rumor he was gay or was bi-sexual and the plans had maybe been planned for either Seth or Joey to be paired with him. But that changed when the brought in new writers and changed executive producers.

• Members

Right. A good number of Hollywood stars in the past ten years or so would prob be called metrosexual--certainly a lot of soap stars with waxed chests and spray tans are. It has nothing to do with who you sleep with (well, as Carl said, actually it basically is trying to get men to do that and not owrry people would think they're gay).

• Members

I think ATWT missed the boat by making Noah gay. If he had been bisexual, there was much more potential for good storyline. Remember, when he first appeared, he was into Henry Coleman's sister (sorry, can't remember her name). If she had gotten pregnant, and then Noah became involved with Luke, there would have been great angst, instead of those lame stories about Ameera and Professor Scarf.

• Members

Her name was Maddie, and I totally agree. That should have been a triangle that stretched out for at least a year, maybe two, in the mold of ATWT's classic love triangles. But nope. Luke and Noah were true lurve, and they needed to be together within two months, and the rest of us were required to deal.

I didn't even remember who Professor Scarf was at first, but I sooo was not into Oakdale at that time.

• Members

I somewhat agree, because i see him more as gay who tried to be with women for approval.

Stephen/Luke will always be my dynasty OTP tho.

YES! Noah should have absolutely been bisexual.

I would love to see Days bring on a bisexual male and pair him with Sonny and Abby.

• Members

That would have just been another generic story about the victimized woman who is lied to by gay/bi men. Eastenders did that a few years ago and it stunk.

Steven was too poorly written of a character for me to know what his sexuality was supposed to be. I think they just saw his relationships with men as a reason for very basic conflict (Blake's shame, closeting, women who are duped by gay men), and otherwise they preferred him as straight.

• Members

Carl, its a soap. Everyone is victimized and lied to by someone. Its kind of how they work. I am all for a gay or bi bad guy on a soap. I am sick of them all being martyrs.

I think Steven was gay. He was written as gay and it never really changed. It was swept under the rug and ignored for a bit, but they maintained he was gay. Honestly given the time the show was on, looking at it today it is pretty impressive what they did actually do IMHO.

• Members

They end up as martyrs anyway, because half the story is about the poor woman who is used and the other half is about the self-loathing man weeping and tearing at his hair over the misery of his fate.

As often as I complain about the writing in the Will story, I'm glad they had him break up with Gabi before he could really start using her, and that the pregnancy story hasn't been about his secret gay shame.

• Members

thats why i want a bad ass on days who just doesnt care. he comes in, plays them both, and through convulted bullshit they are not aware they are dating the same man.

jesus. i never i thought id see the day where carl said a simi-decent thing about the will character/story/writing/anything lol.

Archived