The complete and total dismantling of Y&R

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, she shows a knowledge of the history be repeating and/or re-writing the history of every past story lol. I didn't say she did it well or did it right, but she made it a part of her Y&R. I don't think the new writers know anything about the show. THey have a script editor who's never watched soaps and Josh Griffith has very little experience with Y&R and I doubt he knows the history or tone of the show. He came after everything was dismantled.

I think that was her inexperience. She didn't know how to create an original story, everything felt like a ripoff of something. WHen she did go original (chipmunk), she failed miserably.

• Members

JG has knowledge about the show and they still have people on the writing/production team with knowledge about the history of the show. I can't remember which writer it was but just last week they reminded the audience that Victoria had been kidnapped before by Gary and BB said the credit for that went to a longtime script writer.

Please don't give MAB more credit than she deserves which is none at all. She didn't display knowledge of the show's history. More like she went on wikapedia pulled out the major storylines and badly redid them. MAB has been apart of the family since the 90s at least that's long enough for her to have gained some knowledge about the show.Especially sicne she was pimping the fact that she did some script writing in the 90s.

All anyone has to do is looks at Sharon to see what a mess MAB made. She tried to ruin Jill too, the longest running character on this show. Please the wannabe socialite has no respect for history of Y&R.

• Members

I must be perfectly candid.

I still enjoy discussing the show (its history, it's storyline merits, it writing, its characterizations) but Y&R does absolutely nothing for me these days and it hasn't done so for at least 3 years, now. I don't hold out much hope. Only a major reconstruction of this show would give it hope of lasting beyond 5 years. A reconfiguring of who are it's main characters and screen time as well as types of storylines and their implications. People are watching the scandal in the Pentagon and C.I.A. with more interest than they are Y&R right now.

From what I've seen (and I admit, I've watched very sparsely as of late), the story construction and the action in each scene is tighter, the actors appear more engaged, and their output is better-- but content-wise, Y&R has a long way to go. Perhaps Griffith is taking the moderate, gradual (slow moving) approach reimagining the stories on this show.

• Members

I feel mostly the same way as you. JG is definitely taking the gradualist approach and while I appreciate not getting whiplash from the change in regimes, it also doesn't yet feel like the "old" Y&R that I loved. And by old, I include Jack Smith's tenure and the early days of LML. I know this will never be William J. Bell-grade writing. Even though the rot was already setting in by Jack Smith and LML's ego was starting to spin out of control, the show still looked and felt like Y&R, held together by competent writers, producers and crew who had been there for years and years (before LML fired most of them).

Right now what i am watching feels like MAB but on her stabilising meds, supported by cast and crew who really want this regime to succeed.

JG needs longer to prove that he has what it takes to carry this show forward for the longer-term. So far, I am not convinced yet (Jack running NE aside) and neither are the ratings currently. But I recognise that he needs at least 6 months to get truly embedded. Then -- we will see. But I do want to see some good storytelling. Re-hiring people like Kay Alden, Jack Smith, Greg Meng, Noel Maxam and others who came before -- even in a consulting capacity -- might help.

• Members

And don't be shocked if that Co-HW is either Bob Guza or Michael Malone. ;)

Josh Griffith is like Lorraine Broderick: he's a breakdown writer in head writer's clothing. You can count on him to deliver strong, individual scenes that are character-driven (in comparison to the rest), but if you're expecting him to come up with big, headline-grabbing stories...? You're S.O.L.

Meanwhile, I think the only thing MAB appreciated were the baubles and bangles her wealthy husband surely bought her.

Archived