Barbara Esensten passed away

• Members

Wow, RIP :(

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/emmy-winning-soap-writer-dies

Emmy-winner Barbara Esensten, who created LOVING/THE CITY with James Harmon Brown and wrote for a slew of soaps including GUIDING LIGHT, PORT CHARLES, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, DAYS OF OUR LIVES, DYNASTY and ALL MY CHILDREN, passed away on November 14. Former GL writer Jill Lorie Hurst tweeted, "The wonderful GL headwriter Barbara Esensten died last night. Great boss, great girlfriend. Miss her already."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry to hear this. I had no idea she was 75. When I saw her in a photo when she was GL's headwriter she could have passed for her forties.

She was a big part of some fantastic moments at Loving, helped bring GL back from the dead, and helped bring one of daytime's best supercouples back to AMC.

• Members

Sad and surprising news.

In amongst the many misses of Esensten & Brown's headwriting work on soaps there were some great stories (e.g. the Loving murders, Lizzie's battle with leukemia on GL, the return of the Hubbards on AMC).

Her and JHB's writing got me hooked on GL (a show I had never given more than 30 seconds of my time) in 1997. And they did help save that show from cancellation at that time.

A little of her background beyond her soap resume is outlined in this write-up:

http://www.welovesoa...n-has-died.html

Including

• Members

Same. Even I must admit how, in retrospect, Esensten & Brown were the last HW'ing team to write GUIDING LIGHT with any sense of compassion. Unfortunately, they were done in by so many bad decisions -- San Cristobel, Clone Reva, Phillip & Beth's "plane sex" that produced James, Annie Dutton overload -- that probably weren't entirely their fault, or their doing.

• Members

Even when the bottom fell out and so much became about "Manny" and "Rassie", I still enjoyed more of the show than I didn't, and I kept watching. Once they were gone, the show very sharply changed, and as much as I respect Claire Labine and know what she faced and don't really blame her, the show became much more difficult for me to get through.

• Members

Here's my write-up on Barbara:

IN LOVING MEMORY

Barbara Esensten

March 7, 1937-November 14, 2012

"Days of Our Lives" Script Editor, 2007

Barbara Esensten, who was a script editor for "Days of Our Lives" in 2007 has passed away. She died on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at the age of 75.

Barbara Jean Sills was born in Los Angeles, California on March 7, 1937. She started her writing career as a reporter for her college's newspaper, UCLA's Daily Bruin. After college, she married Jack Esensten and had three daughters, Teri, Randi and Deena. After her divorce, Esensten went on to a career in radio news.

In 1987, she began her TV career and a long association with her writing partner, James Harmon Brown, as they were hired to write some scripts for "Dynasty." The writing duo would later write for "Loving" and co-create its spinoff "The City." They also wrote for "Guiding Light", "Port Charles", "One Life to Live", "All My Children" and spent six months at "Days of Our Lives" in 2007. She won a Daytime Emmy as a member of the "Guiding Light" writing team in 1993.

Esensten is survived by her second husband, Michael Chambers; three daughters, Teri, Randi and Deena; and several grandchildren. A funeral will be held on Sunday, November 18, 2012.

• Members

Yeah, I was so disgusted with GL during the mid-'90s, especially after McTavish's run. B&E made the show feel something like GL again, even if that was short-lived. I liked Pharley, Rick/Abby, the early days of Annie's reign of terror. Good, diverse soapy stuff. It all went to hell, but for a while there it was must-see TV.

Archived