K-Pop Appeciation Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm sorry not to have mentioned anything to you, Cheap. TBH when I found out last week, it hit me hard, and I was kind of in shock for the whole week. He was a lovely guy, his sweetness and vulnerability really came through his performances and interviews, and in his solo music. Hearing about his struggle with depression and feelings of failure... he was so talented a shining talent, and yet felt like he was worthless! I am finding that especially hard to accept. Seeing his SHINee bandmates and fellow SM idols at the funeral on the news was especially painful. I kept away from online forums as a result, including this place. So please forgive me for not breaking the news to you beforehand.

How are you doing? I know it must have been a shock. These idols live under immense pressure from their companies and the fans who criticise them... it's not an enviable life, is it. I hope you are doing ok -- it's an awful shock, I know.

Edited by Cat

• Members

I'm glad you weren't horribly affected by this -- it's hard news to take. Yes, I also have been drifting away from kpop. This death and TOP's treatment by so-called fans and YG really highlight the dark side of this industry and the society over there. I keep up with EXO and maybe a few other songs but the Twice/BTS stuff driving kpop at the moment doesn't do much for me.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

@Cheap21 I don't know if you are into kpop ballads, but EXO's Christmas album, Universe, had some good ones. And iKon just came back with a new album which is getting good reviews.

Lately I've been listening to Red Velvet's newest release, Bad Boy. Even though I'm not really a girl group person, I love the slow jam melody.

It's a follow-up to Peekaboo:

• Members

@Cheap21 Really glad you liked it! I heard it and thought you would enjoy it a lot. I think it's their best track in a couple of years, actually. The choreo is good, too, because everybody gets a twirl out in front.

BTW, EXO and CL will be performing at the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics on the 25th. Would love it if they share a stage, as random as that combination would be together.

@Faulkner iKon's latest album is so good, isn't it? I have it on rotation on Spotify. I think this is the album where they really break through to the kpop mainstream.

• Members

Very cool. I’m a Kpop neophyte, but I like what I’ve been hearing so far. Lots of experimentation and a maximinalist approach to pop (sort of like PC Music). It’s a good change of pace from the monotonous bass drops and trap beats of most top 40 pop these days. I’m used to listening to songs in languages I don’t understand, so that’s not a problem.

• Members

EXO's Kai released some pics from his family's vacation to Hawaii (fans had been asking), and one of the pics is this one:

tumblr_p48ktm7a3H1u94j5lo2_400.jpg

Is... is that Y&R playing in the background?? Kpop and soaps finally meet! 

I love a lot of the arrangements and experimentation in kpop, and also notice that some songs have a 80s or 90s edge to them lately, which is a sound I like.

Edited by Cat

• 2 weeks later...